Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Repopulation

Old 12-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Repopulation

Just curious, I live in LA and in the Early 20th Century(1900's), our deer herd was on the bring of extinction in the state due to lack of hunting regulations. We had a massive repopulation effort in the 70's and restocked with deer from Wisconsin, Florida, and The coastal region of LA( one of the few areas in the state with a good deer population at the time).

The question I have is, what other states have had to restock deer, and when?
Old 12-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Deer Repopulation

but then I read people in VA and NYSsaying that the gene line isnt good ?!!?
I certainly don't hear that.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

My understanding is that deer were pretty much gone in Illinois and they started restocking in the 1950s.

I was living in southwest Louisiana in the 1980s and 1990s when the deer management projects were really taking off. There are now areas where i never saw a single deer that are now crawling with them.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

The NJ deer population was extremely limited in the early 1900's.

Deer were transplanted from NY State and Virginia, into NJ.

Which makes me wonder about our genetics. We obviously have outstanding genetics in NJ, but then I read people in VA and NYSsaying that the gene line isnt good ?!!?

How can that be.
Haha, I have family in VA and they always have great deer taken every year. They credit it with their older age structure though. The genes are definately there.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I certainly don't hear that.
Haha, I have family in VA and they always have great deer taken every year. They credit it with their older age structure though. The genes are definately there.

I've read it here more than a few times.."good deer for VA" or "thats a big buck for NYS".

I'm not discrediting the fact that big bucks reside in those States(and all States), my opinion comes strictly from what I've heard people on here(and in hunting videos) say.

Which made little sense to me, if our NJ deer herd is a combination of both...Hense why I said "how can that be".
Agreed. When it comes to the talk of genetics though, I would trust a wildlife biologist over a professional hunter.

I think that's it is just people speculations that spiral out of control. Alot of people think that PA has a "junky" deer herd, especially in the 90's. There was a case study done that found PA has amazing genetics, but the age structure was not there.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

Nawth Cackalacky.....There was some stock from out of state as well as some from in state.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a lot also comes from nutrient rich soil. Bucks may have good potential but may never reach that without a good diet.

i think you hear complaints bout NY, PA, and VA deer being small because they are 'mountain' deer where all they eat is browse and the occasional small field all summer. NJ has abundant farms and good nutrient rich soil that provides the minerals needed for nice racks.

Look at Western MD vs. Eastern MD. Thearea surrounding the Baysome serious racks, even at young ages. I've personally killed a 110" 1.5 yr old. Sure it takes some good genes to get that but I think food supply has a biggerimpact than genetics.

Quick Reply: Deer Repopulation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.