Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 12-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting through brush...

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Do NOT make this a Fixed vs. Mechanical debate or I'll stick BigJ on ya ass , got it !! Kindly mentioning differences or limitations is fine.

How do you feel about shooting through brush, small limbs, briars and so on ?

I've heard people say that you can shoot through brush if the deer is direct(almost touching) the other side of that brush, assuming the brush isn't overly thick.

Personally, I wont do it, and I shoot mechanicals. I feel that if the mechanical head opens in the brush, there will be an extreme lack of penetration due to lowered speed/kenetic energy and increased surface area of the broadhead. (Seriously, if that head hits the deer already open, why are you thinking you'll lose KE??? The amount of KE needed to open the head is not needed now, and whether it hits the deer already OPEN or closed, you still need to push 2" of blade or whatever throught the animal don't you???? I think a more reasonable concern my be the angle the arrow is on when it hits the deer, if that arrow hits that deer at and 80* angle rather than a 90* angle, that is where the worry really should be. )

With a fixed head, I would be a little more comfortable making a shot through brush, but still wont take it.

I understand that given the amount/type/location of the brush will make each scenario extremely different, but in GENERAL...

What do you think ? Have you taken a shot like this ? Is it un-ethical ?

AND

Likely....

Some of the old timers that I heard talking about this claimed that if the brush isnt too thick and the deer is directly on the other side- the arrow wont have time to deflect and will likely hit its mark. Like I said, I do not condone this shot, I just wanted to hear what others thought, and see if what I was thinking, is the general school of thought regarding...

Many old timers really never worried about a "wound to kill" ratio. I can honestly say some of the more haphazard hunters I've encountered, Gun or Bow, were some of the "old-timers." On the other hand, some of them are the best trackers you can find, but I think that is a learned thing out of necessity to some point. Not saying ALL "old-timers" are unethical and slob hunters, but to the standard that many of us strive for today, there are quite a few that seem that way. Are they really "Slobs" and "unethical," or is it merely ignorance??? I took frontal shots, brush shots, and all kinds of shots that NOW, I'd consider unethical, but back in my teens, and even early 20's when I really didn't know any better, they weren't really "unethical," today, I'd consider them unethical if I were to take them. It's a generational thing, and probably nothing you might say to these old-timers would change alot of their minds. On of my hunting mentors growing up shot his son-in-law several years ago during Ohio's deer gun season, shooting at movement, and the son-in-law wasn't wearing any ORANGE!!!! Fortunately, it was a mild hit near the ankle, tore up his fibula and left a hole in his leg, but it could've been MUCH worse. [:-] [:'(]
Old 12-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot through dried out corn leaves In corn rows, dead grass, tiny rotten sticks the size of pencil lead. I'm shooting a heavy set up, makes a huge difference. Besides what I listed, I would not shoot through brush.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

I see what TFOX is saying. Brush in the sight path and brush in the flight path are two different things.
EXACTLY! While I DO NOT CONDONE shooting through brush, I will sayAGAIN, that I had a chance to kill a buck early (Oct 16th) in this season at a mere 10yrds that had a very small spindly bush RIGHT NEXT TO HIM. Not a foot or a couple of feet away, where my arrow would have had time to have it's flight path/point of impact compromised. It wasright next to/touching him.I didn't take the shot. Instead, Ipassed the chanceand waited for him to take two more steps, which he didn't do, and watched him turn and go the opposite way.While some may notrefer to this as passing on that buck, whatever it is/was, I did the ethical thing and watched him walk. If Iget that same EXACT shot during the late season, will I take it? Bet the ranch on it! And it's got NOTHING to do with it being late season.