Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanical or Non-Mechanical

Old 12-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Spike

Default Mechanical or Non-Mechanical

Just got my first bow this weekend, and was interested to know if people use the mechanical arrow heads that I saw at the shop?
Do they shoot the same as fieldpoint arrows?
Do they carry the same impact as Non-mechanical?
How much difference is there in flight pattern between the two?

Sorry for the rookie questions, I will try and keep them to a min.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mechanical or Non-Mechanical

Some people use them and some don't. I use them for the simple fact that I'm lazy when it comes to tuning my bow. I've shot fixed blade cut on contact broadheads and the amount of work that was required to get them to shoot perfectly was amazing. I figured that it was economically smarter to shoot mechanicals, because with the fixed blades I was destroying my deer target within a couple weeks. They're not the cheapest things either.

So now, I can shoot my field points at my deer target as long as I want to and not tear up the target andwhen it comes time to go hunting I can simply screw the mechanicals on and have complete confidence in their flight. Actually, I use two arrows as "practice arrows" that I keep in the quiver and the rest are the real deal. Once I get the weight of the arrow set to where I want it I don't mess it again. All of my arrows are within 2 grains of each other weight-wise. 545 grains +/-1 grain. They're heavy, but they also quiet my bow down tremendously. Couple that with what I'm shooting, A Mathews Q2XL, and it's a whisper quiet combination.

Ask any questions that you want, these guys have a wealth of knowledge between them and they'd be happy to help you, I'm sure.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mechanical or Non-Mechanical

non mechanical