Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pass thrus on deer VOTE

Old 12-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Banned

Default Pass thrus on deer VOTE

I always do and I can't remember when I didn't get one
Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Pass thrus on deer VOTE

I only used fixed heads so its rare that I don't. I can't imagine using a mech any more. But this year, I shot a quartering to me shot on an 8pt. and didn't get the pass thru I expected. I did get 10" of penetration, and a dead deer however.

I see these guys paying 12-15 dollars a head, and just shake my head. I have never had an issue with a 2 blade muzzy, 4 dollars a head, or thunderheads, around 5 dollars a piece.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive only had 3 deer not get a pass through, but this was way back when I used to use ,too light of an arrow, and didnt yet understand the importance of a properly tuned bow. Since then, Ive only used400gr or more ,total arrow weight, and muzzy or sonic heads and not only have I always got a pass through, they usually stick about 12" into the rocky dirt behind the deer. I think the sonics can pass though 3 deer!
Old 12-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Most always do, except on quartering away sometimes I hit the opposite shoulder. Depends on shot angle.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can only recall one deer that I didn't get a passthrough on. That was the buck in my profile pic. He was slightly quartering to and I hit him a little forward of what I wanted. The arrow still buried to the fletching in his shouldar and a short 50-60 yard blood trail resulted in a dead deer.

This was from a Bowtech Allegiance at 65lbs with a 370 grain arrow tipped with a Rocky Mountain Snyper XP3. Upon skinning this deer, I discovered the arrow went completely through his shoulder bone.

What I would like to see is a comparison done of pass throughs, shot angles and equipment used, including bow weight, arrow weight, etc.

For me anyway, it really seems like a lot of people are way too concerned about the amount of KE needed to kill a deer.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I voted very rarely that I don't get a pass through. Actually It's probably In that 80% to 90% range for me on getting complete pass throughs.

My bow set up the last 13 years-

Take Down Recurve- 220 fps the last time I checked It.
73lbs at 28"
XX75 2216 Aluminum arrows tipped with a 125 grain 3 Blade Magnus Snuffer- 561 grains total Including the BH.

Most of my shots are from 18' to 20' up In a tree. Anywhere from 10 yards to 23 yards were my distances.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Almost always gey a pass thru. I have shot Muzzy's with good results. Then I went to the Rocket Hammerhead and got mostly pass thrus. And have been using Rage the last 2 years. The only non pass thru was a spine shot on my buck this year. All the others were buried in the ground at POI.

I am usually at least 20 feet up in the tree. I currently shoot a 70 pound Gaurdian with 460 grain (including BH) FMJ.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

1st deer with a bow-nopassthrough- 26yds pse nova at 45#'s muzzy 75gr.
Last doe i shot this year-no pass through- 22yds 101st airborne 300fps, quartering too shoulder shot. rage3blade I dont think any head would have passed thru.

there was another on a shot where i was really high up, and the shot was almost straight down and i got no exit. That wasnt a very memorable experience i dont guess, b/c i dont even remember what kind of bh/bow or anything i was using. probably muzzys as well. It was just an awkward shot. in my experience, i have found that you will get a pass thru if you place the arrow in teh right spot.
Derek
Old 12-15-2008, 05:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Although I have only shot 5 deer with my bow all but 1 went threw. That 1 was a shot as the deer quartered away from me. Cut off 7 ribs as it went threw. 6 on one side and 1 on the other side. The broadhead ended up right in back of the shoulder blade. I was using Magnus fixed blades 145 grains.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Don't remember when I didn't get a pass through.

Quick Reply: Pass thrus on deer VOTE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.