Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DIY elk hunters

Old 12-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: DIY elk hunters

I've only hunted Colorado but can tell you, if you do your homework and some major "leg work" a DIY hunt is possible with chances at some great bulls! If you haven't already, check out the CDOW site, http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/

It provides very valuable information if you spend time researching.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

I've only hunted Colorado but can tell you, if you do your homework and some major "leg work" a DIY hunt is possible with chances at some great bulls! If you haven't already, check out the CDOW site, http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/

Thanks. How has it gone for you there? Any tags that you've wished you had along with you?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

One member here mentioned "Hunting Fool" for information, it looks like the ticket for a DIY. Anybody else a member?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad and I did Colorado this year, and a bull tag cost $532. We did pretty well, researched the crap out of the different units beforehand, picked which one we wanted to go to and hiked in away from everyone else. The altitude slowed us down the first couple of days, but after that it was ok. I do wish I had gotten a mulie tag as I had several opportunities, but it just wasn't in the finances to do it this year.
It takes some research, and you will probably make a ton of phone calls, but really I did not think it was that difficult. When we got to the area we pretty much knew where we wanted to go, and how we wanted to hunt the area.
Good luck.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a member lots of tag information for applying. There are outfitters in the back of it. If you are looking for a cancellation hunt you can find some good deals.

ORIGINAL: nodog

One member here mentioned "Hunting Fool" for information, it looks like the ticket for a DIY. Anybody else a member?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

Thanks. How has it gone for you there? Any tags that you've wished you had along with you?
We are just learning how to hunt the big "stinkys" but are having a blast learning on our own. I should've had a bull in '06 & '07, was just too inexperienced to know whatto expect. In '08 we did not find any bulls in the same locations as before. Planning an '09 trip now and heading back to the places I have come to know like the back of my hand. Your best bet is to do your research, pick a location and stick with it until you become familier with the area so when the elk make moves you know where they may be going.
In '07 I wished I would've had a bear tag. You may run into anything while hunting, so it's hard to tell what tags to buy.For an eastern whitetail hunter, Colorado DIY is fantastic! You'll have a great time.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds good. Thanks for the information.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:54 AM
Spike

"I'll check those pages. I've read of the problems. How do you know the boundries of the area's? What's the check in process?"

The hunting regs have a map with the unit boundaries, and each elk area lists the units which it includes. For instance, the regs may say "Palouse Zone, Which includes units 1,2,3, and 4." There is also asite on the fish and game home page which gives detailed descriptions of the unit boundaries. Remember, a single unit may be the size of a dozen Ohio counties.

There is not a check in process in Idaho like you have in Ohio. At the end of the season Idaho hunters fill out a harvest report, which can be done on line. It is basically a survey that takes a few minutes to complete, using an honor system. You have to fill it out to get the next year's license.

[align=right]
[/align]
Old 12-16-2008, 05:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Start here:

http://fwp.mt.gov/default.html

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/
Old 12-16-2008, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

PM me, I would be more than happy to show you the ropes-even let you hunt my honey hole!