Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need some pointers!

Old 04-06-2003, 08:27 PM

Default I need some pointers!

I am pretty much a rookie when it comes too bow hunting. Ive rifle hunted for many years, but in my opinion, thats a whole diffrent ball game. I was wondering if u guys can give me some pointers on stand and blind locations. What too look for and such.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:49 PM

Default RE: I need some pointers!

I hunt some pretty open country. I usually watch from a distance for a night or two and then slip in close and hope they stay on pattern. if I don' t have time i slowly sneek through the area and glass ahead of me.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

You look for the same things wether you are rifle hunting or bow hunting. You still need to know where the food is, rub lines, bedding areas, where the does are, and their travel routs to and from these areas. It' s always a good bet to set up on the travel routs, but depending on what time of year it is (pre rut, rut, post rut) will determing on which travel rout to set up on.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Find the trails and follow them until they fork out into numerous trails. Also any place that funnels the deer to get from point A to point B, or restricts there movement thru a small area. (Like a drainage ditch going down the side of a steep ridge). This is where you want to sit most of the time for all around hunting. When the rut comes you have to change a little. The funnels are really good during the rut. Also doe bedding areas are good during the rut.

Good Luck
Old 04-06-2003, 10:48 PM

Like buckmaster68 said....a spot where trails come together can almost always asure you that you will see movement. They could come from any direction. Also about the bedding areas. In the rut the bucks will look for the does while theyre bedded but dont get in there too deep. Runnin the does out of there bedding areas and spooking them could ruin everything. Just stick with a place that is close but a spot that you can predict when and what direction theyre coming. Things might seem slow at first but it will pay off in the long run. Pateince is definatly the most important key in bowhunting.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:38 AM

All good advice above. As stated look for the same things bowhunting you do when rifle hunting.

The only difference (besides equipment) between the two is you' ve got to get a heck of a lot closer!
Old 04-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Hunt the wind... get close.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:55 AM

I agree with everyone else but would add:

1 get good camo and never allow yourself to get sky lined.
2 Always use scent away or other scent cover or eliminator
3 be extra careful going in and coming out not to leave ' man' scent by using drag rags.
4 Always make your moves slowly even if you think you are hidden.