Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Keeping your hands warm on stand

Old 12-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Spike

Default Keeping your hands warm on stand

I have been going out in the freezing temps here lately. I'm going tomorrow morning before work and with the wind chill it is supposed to feel like 3 degrees. I can layer with enough clothes to keepmy body warm but my hands go numb(even with warm gloves), which is not a good thing when you need to make a shot. I have hand warmers but those don't fit inside of gloves, and I don't like mittens. I have one of those pouches that you wear around your waist that you can put your hands inside of but with the type of release I have I can't fit my right hand inside of it. Just wondering what you guys do to try to keep your hands warm.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Keeping your hands warm on stand

handwarmers in my gloves...
Old 12-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Spike

I have thought of that but the handwarmer would only warm the palm and not the fingers, whichis the critical part...unless you can fit them in the fingers.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

The pouch that goes around your waist works great for me. And if you throw a few handwarmers in there it becomes an oven. Yea, its a little tricky with a release but try just holding the release like you would if you were shooting and your hand should be able to slide right in.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

The blood flows though your hand to get to your fingers, and all you have to do is close your hand aorund the warmer. It will keep it warm trust me.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Warm hand I got. They just don't get cold. Most of the time I wear fingerless gloves. Now my left foot is a different animal. I have shrapnel in the leg, have had veins stripped out when they became ropes and my foot freezes in moderate temps. Nothing I do gives me a consistant temp and comfort in that foot. It's a bummer. Hand... they're warm as toast.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Spike

My release is bigger and bulky and I just have trouble getting it in the waist pouch. I bought this Tru-Fire Glove 3 years ago and liked it initially but it is bulky and gets in the way. I'm might have to look into getting a new release.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:18 PM

Enter....the muff. If your hand can fit, so can your release.

http://www.bowhunting.com/shopping/Products/Hunter-Safety-System-Muff-Pack__HSS-MUFF.aspx
Old 12-09-2008, 07:20 PM

Have you ever tried the mitten type gloves that fold back away from your fingers when you need to shoot. I have used this style for a few years now and love them I can put a little handwarmer in the hood of the glove and keeps fingers toasty, they also clear out of the way quick and easy for a quick shot.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 PM

I wear jersey gloves and use a hand muff. I use the larger body warmer heat packs, they fit in my gloves without problems and last longer. During colder weather I put one pack on the palm side and one on the top of my hand and it usually keeps my fingers warm and I can still work my release. If my fingers do get cold I put a warmer in the muff at the edge and just put my fingers in and hold onto it. One thing I have been wanting to try is to get an elastic wristband and slit it open and stuff a warmer or two in there to see if constant heat to the wrist will keep the fingers warm.

Are you wearing tight gloves? That could be part of the problem as well.

Quick Reply: Keeping your hands warm on stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.