Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it ETHICAL(ha) to shoot does this late?

Old 12-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it ETHICAL(ha) to shoot does this late?

I believe this has been beat to death ebfore but figured I would ask again! In reality would it be better to take a small buck this time of the year or a doe that possibly has two small bucks inside of her?? In most cases right now if we kill a doe, are we not killing 2-3 deer??

I am asking this question as if you had no choice and NEEDED meat for the freezer. I dont wanna hear that you would not shoot either, I wanna hear what you would rather do if you HAD too????
Old 12-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Is it ETHICAL(ha) to shoot does this late?

Do they (does) need taking whre you hunt?

If so....there is NEVER a bad time to take them. Let's say you took a doe in Sept. v. December. Didn't you kill those 2 potential buck fawns then, also?

I don't give a second thought as to what time of year I take them. In fact.....the earlier you take them....the more food is available for the others. But rest assured.....I'll shoot them all the way 'til our closer. NEVER a bad time to take a doe, here.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If so....there is NEVER a bad time to take them. Let's say you took a doe in Sept. v. December. Didn't you kill those 2 potential buck fawns then, also?

You know I have never thought of it that way?? Thats a good way to look at it!!
Old 12-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

I believe this has been beat to death ebfore but figured I would ask again! In reality would it be better to take a small buck this time of the year or a doe that possibly has two small bucks inside of her?? In most cases right now if we kill a doe, are we not killing 2-3 deer??

I am asking this question as if you had no choice and NEEDED meat for the freezer. I dont wanna hear that you would not shoot either, I wanna hear what you would rather do if you HAD too????
In all reality this is just as true of a doe shot in Sept. I don't understand why people say this.
Whatever you do you will tick someone off. If you shoot a doe your killing 3 deer, if you kill a small buck the QDM people will want to hang you, if you kill a fawn ..... well, I'm not even going to go there. I've been there and it's a real ugly place!

I would shoot the doe.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:17 PM

GMMAT nailed it, that fawn is not born whether mama is shot in Sept vs Jan...
Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM

I have 2 more does tags left, and I will do all I can to fill those between now and Jan 15th. GMMAT said the same way I would have. No matter when you take a doe, that fawn won't be born.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I don't give a second thought as to what time of year I take them. In fact.....the earlier you take them....the more food is available for the others. But rest assured.....I'll shoot them all the way 'til our closer. NEVER a bad time to take a doe, here.
+1, well put Jeff!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 06:42 PM

Around here, I would definately shoot the doe. I havetaken 2 since the peak of the rutandif I dontget a buck before Jan 15 willtake 2 more if I can. Will definately try for at least one more.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:43 PM

I agree with Jeff. With an over population of deer in my area and poor sex ratios, ANYTIME during the season is a good time to take a doe. Everyone's area is different, but I don't think it's ever unethical to shoot a doe. It's either a good decision or bad decision based on the herd. But I'd never say unethical.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

If you shoot a doe before she is bred you just kept her from being a mother...so who cares and what is the difference?

Quick Reply: Is it ETHICAL(ha) to shoot does this late?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.