Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed Hunting Traps

Old 12-09-2008, 10:48 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shed Hunting Traps

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

ORIGINAL: TJF

No picturesof our shed totalslast spring. There was a few hours/miles spent tromping for these in 07...

Seriously.. that's ridiculous Tim.

It's all about location.[8D]
Up until the big baiting post... I wouldhave saidit was about tromping andlocation. Since most were found in ag fields or CRP bordering ag fields... it's all about baiting since both are artificial. We are masters atbaiting for sheds!!! Yehaw!!!!!![8D]

TEmbry No sheds were harmed in their capture. No laws were broken. They were ethically taken.

Tim
Old 12-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats just CRAZY! WoW
Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

What's up with the pelvic bone in the second row?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:00 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Duke

It's an old moose shed the coyote had a hay day with. Looked to be quite a few years old. It was my first moose shed.

Tim

We have found a total of 3. Bit rare to find them after8 or 9years of looking.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:58 AM
Typical Buck

Some of you are forgetting that there is a MAJOR difference in terrian across the US. As OneShot stated, here in the south east we do not have open grassy lands like you will find in the midwest. Our land is mostly thick, nasty, and often swampy. I look and look every year, but rarely find more than two or three sheds a year. They are nearly impossible to find here.

As for the "trap". You don't have you use chicken wire. You can use a single strand of wire and pour the corn directly under it. You can also pour the corn at the base of a tree (if the buck's rack is big enough). You can do it all sorts of ways.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Duke

It's an old moose shed the coyote had a hay day with. Looked to be quite a few years old. It was my first moose shed.

Tim

We have found a total of 3. Bit rare to find them after8 or 9years of looking.
I was just about to point out that moose paddle when I saw this post. Cool. I have a similar one from AK. The 07 picture reminds me of the antler arches in Jackson Hole.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

same for me to... here is the way i look at it excluding the shed trap and its ethics. If you do the leg work you will learn so much more about your quarry. You will find where scrapping activity took place, rubbing. you might find that special bottle neck, buck bedding areasor just learn about your woods in general to be able to see the big picture when the season rolls around. No traps for me, Ill take the learning aproach to shedding
ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

It would take all the fun out of it!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree on the waste of time.

What have you learned by virtue of finding them in a centralized spot (using this method)?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some guys just like to find tons of sheds. They don't care about scouting, etc. What do you learn by finding one in the middle of a cut corn field? That he got hungry? I walk for mine, don't own an ATV and baiting is illegal here. I have permission to shed hunt a few places that I can't deer hunt on. If legal, it wouldn't bother me to set up a device there, since hunting its out of the question.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

I know some kids that started putting corn under some kind of rope contraption that they built to knock off sheds on deer and a small buck got his antlers in it and they didnt come off and it killed the deer. I am against this idea it is not a good one

Quick Reply: Shed Hunting Traps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.