Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who takes field notes/journals??

Old 12-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who takes field notes/journals??

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Doesn't taking notes and all this kinda suck the spirit out of it? Not really knocking people, just curious.
not at all for me...I do it mostly to remember past fun hunts and to compare how many shooters I am seeing from one year to the next.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I just try to keep track of pill time. I really don't need to keep a journal to tell me where I want to hunt tomorrow or where I hunted yesterday. It's fine for people who have a need to do that sort of thing.... but really, I got other things to do when I'm not hunting.[8D]
i dont need it to tell me where i want to hunt tomorrow either...i do it to look back on hunts and past experiences for fun and memories....oh and I also have things to do when i am not hunting[8D]
Old 12-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Just trying to show you it isn't "anal", Dave.

"Anal" is re-using a depends you only No. 1'd in to save $$.
OH so clever. Now I'm into depends. Cute.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:19 AM
bigcountry

I guess for me, it would turn something as simple, and relaxing into work. I take notes on experiments all day long every day. I work in a lab, and love doing the experiments, but hate reporting and presenting.

So in my leisure activity, I won't be taking notes. Maybe one day, I might regret it, when i forget when I took at one buck on the wall here, or another buck there. But I have a feeling by the time I forget that buck story, I won't care anyway.

My other hobby is motorcycles. Believe it or not, I know people who log their rides, or takes notes on how many miles they road. I just sit and don't understand it. But hey it takes all kinds.

But in the case of Greg, he sees so many freaking animals at his own little Jurassic park, he has to take notes to remember the booners he saw yesterday. Just kiddin with you, kinda. Jealousy is such a horrible thing isn't it?

Old 12-09-2008, 05:33 AM
Bartender

I do and pretty much what everyone stated except the charts for now.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to watch it. It's about a 1/2 an hour long. I tagged out early this year. but it's cool to watch.

ORIGINAL: 125py

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

I video'ed all my hunts this year and condensed it down to a journal.
good idea...I bet that is cool to have
Old 12-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Dominant Buck

BC:

Harley riders are the EPITOME of "anal".

Where's yours' right now.....and does it have dust on it? I used to have a shirt that said "I rode my bike to trailer week". It never rode on a trailer after it was delivered to the dealership. Chrome this...billet that......this leather seat looks cooler than that one. Is my leather wrinkled?.....etc..., etc..., etc... .

Glad you brought that up. 15 seconds to log a huntthe next day sounds SO Much more "normal", now......lol.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:58 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

BC:

Harley riders are the EPITOME of "anal".

Where's yours' right now.....and does it have dust on it?
right now, she is sitting right here next to my living room in sparkling glory.

Actually she has lost most of her sparkle. She has over 40K on her, and I can't say I worry too much about pretty anymore. I just ride. Actually ride year around. But road salt and harleys don't mix well.

But surprised you are trying to compare motorcycle vanity with taking notes in a hunting log. I guess I just don't see the connection. I have hunted for a long time, and know a bunch of hunters, and can't say I ever met one that kept a log. I guess if I started hunting recently and a young guy in the information world we live in it might seem a little more normal. When I started hunting, there was no excel.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I always said if/when I bought another harley....I'd buy an electraglide std. and NEVER wash it (and I mean that).

I just thought it was ironic you mentioned harley riders and making something simple and relaxing......work. World's worst (as a community). Gettingdressed for a normal, Sunday ride is probably more of a productionto thecommon harley rider than it is for a broadway musical.

They're likely to be heard exclaiming.................."Is my 'live free or die' showing?"...as their big wife on the back says... "Yes"....."Now Get back in line, Stan".

Old 12-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys that keep journals, do you hunt several different properties? I hunt one of 3 (usually one of 2 properties) depending on wind, how much time I have, etc. One of the properties I pretty much know when and where to hunt it, the other 2 I'm still learning. I could see where it could help the first few years when you are getting used to the travel patterns, but after that, it would seem like work to me.

Quick Reply: Who takes field notes/journals??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.