Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who takes field notes/journals??

Old 12-08-2008, 08:38 PM

Default RE: Who takes field notes/journals??

Date, Wind, Stand, and Journal Entry, what I had seen so and and so on..
Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM
bigcountry

Doesn't taking notes and all this kinda suck the spirit out of it? Not really knocking people, just curious.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just started this year. Wrote down times, winds, general weather, deer or other animals seen, and stand locations..
Old 12-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Spirit?

In what way?

When I played college ball.....we kept notes on opposing hitters and I studied them before we played them (I was a catcher and called my own games).

I see this as no different.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Doesn't taking notes and all this kinda suck the spirit out of it? Not really knocking people, just curious.
I don't know about spirit... it just seems a little anal to me. I hunt when I can. I use the wind to my advantage and set up with that in mind. I don't need to flip threw some journal from last year to tell me it's a beautiful day and the deer should be moving. Of course, all the journal entries in the world are useless if the neighbor turns his Dobermans loose at 6 PM every Oct evening. [8D][8D][8D]
Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use to keep notes for years until I realized there useless. (to me ) ex. big buck killed nov 4th south wind 5:30 pm 58 deg. east side stand my junk hanging to the left. After comparing years of notes I realized the only thing that was consistant was my junk hanging to the left.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Trust me David.....lol....It takes me about 15 seconds to log my last hunt into excel. What I get from it is really useful to only me and my wildlife bio.

If all I cared about was putting my face into the wind and having fun......I'd ride roller coasters instead of hunt.

To me.....keeping a journal is useful and fun to recall. Of course....you could just make stuff up and spew it....then who would know.....right??

I can cite how many does/buck/fawns I saw in a single season. I can cite how many deer I saw in a particular woodlot.....on a particular wind....on a particular weather occurrence. That's useful to me.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Trust me David.....lol....It takes me about 15 seconds to log my last hunt into excel. What I get from it is really useful to only me and my wildlife bio.

If all I cared about was putting my face into the wind and having fun......I'd ride roller coasters instead of hunt.

To me.....keeping a journal is useful and fun to recall. Of course....you could just make stuff up and spew it....then who would know.....right??

I can cite how many does/buck/fawns I saw in a single season. I can cite how many deer I saw in a particular woodlot.....on a particular wind....on a particular weather occurrence. That's useful to me.
I'm so excited for you. LOL
Old 12-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Just trying to show you it isn't "anal", Dave.

"Anal" is re-using a depends you only No. 1'd in to save $$.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Site Buck Guru

I've kept notes for years. I find them interesting and helpful. I did this in 2006 and would like to do it for the rest of my years of notes as well. I just need the time.

Quick Reply: Who takes field notes/journals??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.