Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I got to thinking...

Old 12-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I got to thinking...

So this weekend I was watching a few hunting shows, like always...
And for some reasonI noticed that all the hosts were really putting it out there that they all are "Professionals" Which is fine. But then I started thinking what makes them a professional...I thoughtWhat oppurtunity did they have to get them the title of a "professional"
the dictionary says: characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace

So my question is, Are you a professional? Am I a professional? I think so, I believe I am extremely ethical, and a great ambassador for archers and sportsman. And thatI know that I woulddo nothing to degrade the thing I lovemost.I just get so tired of people (t.v. professionals) putting themselves on a pedistal just because they have a big checkbook. Ofcoarse not all are bad. There are some shows I love!!

What do you all think?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I got to thinking...

"Professional", to me, means they do it for money.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

That too is what I get out of it. To bea "Professional" you must get a financial gain... Thanks..

The "Gain" I get is priceless! If I could bottle itI would be rich!!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the "pro" stands for promotional, not professional IMO.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Site Buck Guru

I am just lucky.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

I am just lucky.
As I hope to continue to be for quite some time yet.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

Do you think they actually get paid to put time in while in the tree? Or are they making their cash from endorsing products?? Is their job actually "hunting"? Or standing in a booth or doing a tv/magazine article endorsing a product?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Dominant Buck

There's nothing inherently derogatory nor adoring in either the "amateur" or "professional" labels. One of the greatest golfers that ever lived (many of them, actually) have remained "amateurs".....and we all know that "professional" doesn't automatically indicate outstanding abilities in most areas.

I've known some golf "Professionals" who couldn't break 80. It wouldn't surprise me (in the archery world) if there weren't some "professionals" out there who couldn't hit the water if they fell out of a boat.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

"Professional", to me, means they do it for money.

X2
Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very good questions, Mikey... I'd think some that were filming such as the Lakoskys or the Drurys could break their time down into getting paid while being in a tree if they divided those hours into the number of sales their DVDs generated, plus all the promotional monies earned by the fact that they're such a popular personality... for most of the others, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Quick Reply: I got to thinking...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.