Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You can have your peeps for hunting...not me

Old 12-07-2008, 07:00 PM

Default RE: You can have your peeps for hunting...not me

ORIGINAL: GregH

I am a rifle eye shooter for everything, rifles, shotguns, pistol and bow. I wish I could shoot with both eyes open but old habits are hard to break.
x2. I have tried, and I suck at it. One eye only here.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Definately,shooting with your dominant eye and both eyes open would help.But,if you are comfortable and confident with the path you have chosen,then go for it.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TFOX

The problem along with what you admit to,is that the peep most likely isn't positioned properly.Could be a result of inconsistant form.There is a chance it is your vision as well,some just have trouble seeing through them.
This is exactly right as far as my experience through the years. In the past, I could still see my pins etc when it's too dark to actually see the animal SAFELY and ETHICALLY. I've never had issue with peeps and low light. As I get older however, I now use a verifier lens in my peep which impedes my ability to see as well as I once did in low light. I know with my eyes fading slightly that without the peep and verifying lens, my fiber pins now elongate and they are not as clear.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I've just gotten to the point, when I can't look up and see my pins clearly, it's time to get down. There are other days, other deer, I don't need to kill something so badly that I have to beable to see in the dark. Most all bowhunters hunt past legal shooting hours and think nothing of it. Why is that. When i can't see.... it's time to take the arrow off the string. I've practiced for hours in poor lighting conditions. Arrow impact is effected. To me, it's not worth the trouble.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MdDave

sorry for the dumb question but how would you shot with out one... jus have the same anchor point everytime????????
Form and anchor Dave. Eye along side the string and all that. It can be done very effectively. It's not rocket science. Hell, some of the best archers in the world... let me rephrase, THE BEST archers in the world do it all by instinct. No pins, no peeps, no releases... stick, string, fingers and practice... nothing but bullseye.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter
Hey Greg...obvioulsy it hasn't hurt you

I did have to pass on a clean 5x5 in '06 because of it! [:@]

I've just gotten to the point, when I can't look up and see my pins clearly, it's time to get down. There are other days, other deer, I don't need to kill something so badly that I have to beable to see in the dark. Most all bowhunters hunt past legal shooting hours and think nothing of it. Why is that. When i can't see.... it's time to take the arrow off the string. I've practiced for hours in poor lighting conditions. Arrow impact is effected. To me, it's not worth the trouble.
I get down early rather than stay late, all the time, especially if nothing is happening. I hate getting pinned in my stand until after dark. When I do, it seems like at least one or more deer are still around when I think the coast is clear and then they bust me.

davidmil,
How in the world would you know that "Most all bowhunters hunt past legal shooting hours and think nothing of it." ????

Old 12-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I too have had to pass on a couple of deer because I had trouble seeing thru my peep in low light conditions, but I will keep using one. To me the pros outway the cons.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

There is no use for a peep at ranges under 40 yds.

I shoot both eyes open without a peep.

The benefit is you can see much better in general.

Deer moving through brush.

Early season heavy foliage

Low light conditions

Accuracy difference is less than an inch @ 30 yds

I gave up the peep for hunting 25 years ago

Now for spots and 3D every little bit helps and I have a peep on my competition bow
Old 12-07-2008, 10:21 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I can't stand a peep. I use a nock set instead. Put the pin tight against the string under the nock set. Simple and effective.

Tim
Old 12-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

I've never used a peep on my bows. Looks like a PITA to me.

I did start using a Hindsight a couple years back and it really helped with my accuracy in the treestand when form and consistent anchor can be hard to come by.

For bowfishing, I don't use any type of sights but that's a whole different ball of wax.

Quick Reply: You can have your peeps for hunting...not me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.