Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You can have your peeps for hunting...not me

Old 12-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: You can have your peeps for hunting...not me

I have experienced the same problem. I had a deer come under my stand at last light about 3 weeks ago. I decided I could use the meat and was going to take the shot. When I drew back I could see my pin perfectly fine but trying to look through the peep and be able to make out my target was not very easy. I ended up letting the deer walk. I'm going to try finding a peep with a larger hole or maybe drill out my current one.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

I myself can see through mine at night and never have a problem with it.
No way can I see through a peep at night, at least not clearly enough that I could shoot worth a darn.

Why not just keep It simple and not use It for 3-D also?
Most likely will from now on since I only go to keep myself ready for hunting season. I don't shoot competitive anymore, just against myself.

If you're comfortable shooting without a peep.....why would the presence of the peep impede you?
Takes me longer to get ready to shoot with a peep, not as confident when bowhunting with one, mental thing is part of it maybe. I had problems in the past and would always go back to hunting without one, and so I will again.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coug do you shoot one eye open, or two eyes open?

Old 12-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Uh, I figured someone would mention that. I shoot with one eye and cannot shoot with both eyes open. According to my dominant eye I should have been a lefty.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took my peep off 3 years ago and have not looked back. I just could not stand having to look through that little hole all the while trying to scan my environment and sometimes make a quick shot. Also I did not like to have to constantly check that little thing to see if it slipped...it used to effect my confidence levels. I have shot and killed 7 deer over the past three seasons without a peep, from 7 yards out to 30, from the tree and ground. All went down within 50 yards so I am happy. That being said, I am more accurate while using a peep, but I think for me personally the accuracy is outweighed by other factors when I take the peep off.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Uh, I figured someone would mention that. I shoot with one eye and cannot shoot with both eyes open. According to my dominant eye I should have been a lefty.
Well that explains it then. With one eye, peeps can give a fit in low light. I shoot a BIG peep with both eyes open and have never had an issue shooting when its light enough to shoot.

You should be able to do fine without it...especially since you have shot that way before. I know some guys that don't use peeps that use kissers instead. Good luck Coug, too bad about that buck.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck Coug, too bad about that buck.
Thanks. After I get over this crappy cold or whatever it is I'll be out there again and he might be around if he survived the weekend's firearm season.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Site Buck Guru

One of my friends stopped using his peep sight years a go and shoots real well, especially in hunting situations.

I am a rifle eye shooter for everything, rifles, shotguns, pistol and bow. I wish I could shoot with both eyes open but old habits are hard to break.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

I am a rifle eye shooter for everything, rifles, shotguns, pistol and bow. I wish I could shoot with both eyes open but old habits are hard to break.
Yea they are. Out of 32-33 bowhunting seasons I've probably tried using a peep sight 3 or 4 of those seasons. Once in a while i kept trying to go back to a peep again. Never again, its always that one time that makes me wish I had left it alone.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Greg...obvioulsy it hasn't hurt you

Really though, I used to be the same way....didn't think I could ever change. I forced myself to do it...and man its 1000 times better. I don't even really see the peep much when I shoot, pretty much just the target and pin. The biggest key is you have to have the correct eye dominance, and you have to practice alot to get used to it.

Quick Reply: You can have your peeps for hunting...not me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.