Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lease for next year

Old 12-07-2008, 03:35 PM

Default Lease for next year

OK everyone, I need some insight. This is my first year bowhunting and a buddy of mine was gracious enough to let me hunt on his lease land. Next year he is going to lose the lease and all he will have is private(to him only) I have found a 100 acre piece of ground that I can lease. It has an 60 acre alfalfa(sp) field that the ownercuts for hay for his cattle. On the north and east sides will be corn fields. On the south 20+ acres of woods that runs down the west side(pretty narrow on the west side) and then opens up to another 15-20 acres of woods. There is a big creek that runs from the NW to the SE end of the property. The only entrance to the property in on the NW corner.

I need some help on how to scout it for next year. I plan on shed hunting in Feb. and March but I would like to have a year long plan on how to pettern them. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanx in advance for the reply's
Old 12-07-2008, 05:00 PM

Default RE: Lease for next year

Anyone?

Really need some help on this

Old 12-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Can you hunt it now or you have to wait?
When do you start leasing it, after the season I presume. If so, do some scouting when possible this winter while there are no leaves and greenery. All trails should be very clear, scrapes, etc. Especially note any huge rubs on a cedar tree or telephone pole. In a place I hunt the same poles(2) and a cedar tree are always rubbed year after year and in those years at least one nice buck is around.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:06 PM

Cougar Mag...... Thanx for the reply. I can't huntit yet but havepermission to doall the scouting I want.

I have read a few things about scouting all year long. Any merit to this? If so what all does it involve?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

I have read a few things about scouting all year long. Any merit to this? If so what all does it involve?

You may get varying answers to this. Since its a new place to you, do scouting after the season. Walk the perimeter of the area so you will know the property lines. Look for the trails, places that narrow that might be good funnels. Always take note of any trees that might be good to set up in if you find some good stand sites. Look for shed antlers, but don't be a bit discouraged if you don't find any sheds. Admittedly I am not much of a shed hunt(got lazy) but though I always see bucks during the hunting season, doesn't mean I will find sheds on the property.

During the spring/summer take note of what crops are planted and where on the property. Sometimes because of the weather during planting season a farmer is forced not to rotate the crops each year.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Cougar Mag........ Thanx again for the input. Much appriciated.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scrat. Walk every part of that land in the off-season with a topo map. Mark anything of interest on the map. It will help you start putting the pieces together so you get a jump start for next year.

Ask the owner of the property if/when he has seen deer. That will key you in quickly. If he is a friendly guy and has time to talk, ask him all about the land. He will probably tell you for example such and such guys gun hunt on the west end starting in December, there is a big thicket on the southside....etc. Best of luck to you, I am envious.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:01 PM

virginiashadow..... Thanx for the reply...Didn't think about the topo map. Good idea and will do. As far as the guy who own's the land, he lives about 5 miles from it and has no idea about the deer on the property(he has never deer hunted). The only thing he told me was the guy who leased it off of him last year "took a good sized buck". So I guess I am in for a little leg work. No problem there.

Thanx again for the reply's