Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you hunt the wind...?

Old 12-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you hunt the wind...?

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I guess this is the same reason we see so many trails parralelling the prevailing downwind side of ag fields? Deer scent checking the field for anything amiss before going out to feed?
No.. no.. looking into the field with their eyes. They would be scent checking the areas they can't see well into.. like the woods.

I'm really not cutting this clearly am I.

No I get what you are saying... I think it was my example that wasn't cutting it. When the bucks are still in the woods.... they obviously can't see out into the field... so they scent check it first... of course though... thats only one... my bad.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Dominant Buck

No I get what you are saying... I think it was my example that wasn't cutting it. When the bucks are still in the woods.... they obviously can't see out into the field... so they scent check it first... of course though... thats only one... my bad.
In my example....that's the opposite of what they were doing (scent checking the field). They were traveling WITH the windto get to an area where they could feed, at ease......using their sense of smell to protect them from what they couldn't see (the thicket they just came from) and using their senseof sight to protect them IN the field.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

In my example....that's the opposite of what they were doing (scent checking the field). They were traveling WITH the windto get to an area where they could feed, at ease......using their sense of smell to protect them from what they couldn't see (the thicket they just came from) and using their senseof sight to protect them IN the field.
Yes.. this is what I was getting at.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want my scent to be blowing away from where I expect deer to come from

Old 12-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my example....that's the opposite of what they were doing (scent checking the field). They were traveling WITH the wind to get to an area where they could feed, at ease ......using their sense of smell to protect them from what they couldn't see (the thicket they just came from) and using their sense of sight to protect them IN the field.

This is what I have seen time and time again.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:52 PM

so we can all agree that we don't want our scent blowing where they are coming from correct??

Bedding

filedstand location swamp

hardwoods

where do I need the wind blowing for this scenerio??
where do NOT want blowing?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok, this year where i hunt we have had alot of bad cold wind. in the wind we have not seen one deer move. but right after the winds we c alot. now we have seen some sitting on the side of hills letting it blow over them. but not seen none move in the wind so i hate wind and here in ky never c them move in the wind
Old 12-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can explain mine better with pics. Here are two of my areas. The first is a large thicket that i hunt the back corner of, why? The corner of choice is the down wind side of the thicket. The bucks hang on this side so they can scent check the whole thicket while cruising back and fourth, and get a visual on the open woods side because its slightly elevated. They pop out on the back side look around and go back in. This is my favorite set and it was teaming with bucks this season. In one day i seen 10 bucks and 12 Does. This is where i killed my 155 buck in 2005. I seen three bucks in this spot over 120" this season, all in range but i was never able to loose an arrow on any of them.
red= thicket outline
brown =is predominant wind direction (subject to change)
Green= is buck/Doe activity am & pm
blue= is buck and Doe activity mornings comming in from fields
white dots=are stand locations
white arrow= is where a 160 buck got lucky this season, he was on course and decided to head another direction,I had a 25 mph cross wind and had him at 42 yards, i didnt shoot.
this is a place where the other guys on the lease are to lazy to make the long hike in I like to keep it that way The thickets kind of steer the wind in different locations

ANOTHER FAVORITE
There are 5 thickets here and the deer are bouncing between them. I have multiple stand sights for the wind situations. I love this spot!! I seen one buck over 120" here and again never was able to shoot,,,just out of range.
Red= thickets
yellow= is a man made ditch
green= is deer movements
white dots with redare the prefered stands
brown= predominant wind (subject to change)
and again, some of the out of the way spots no one likes to make the walk.
I have to many other locations....this is all you get to see [8D]

Old 12-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Simple, just hunt the down wind side of where you expect the deer to be, or be coming from.
Yep, me as well.

Also....I'd ask how many depend solely on the forecast wind direction for that day/hunt.....and who uses a windicator (of an kind) to discern the true wind (direction/thermals/etc...).
I do both of these.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

I don't believe whitetail try to travel into the wind. Especially bucks of older age. At least.. not most of the time.
Hmmm, surprised to hear Duke say that. Now as impossible as it is to always travel into the wind EXCEPT in the rut, I find quite the opposite in my area. The majority of the time I see the mature deer(bucks and does) travel into the wind. Not always but the majority of the time. I also believe that many times if not most of the time, mature deer will wait until darkness to enter their feeding areas(open areas) if they do move against the wind.
Yap, deer travel into the wind around here to. Its hard to pattern a buck when he's two countys over next week and in Missouri by next Fall.[:-]

Quick Reply: How do you hunt the wind...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.