Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you hunt the wind...?

Old 12-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How do you hunt the wind...?

Also....I'd ask how many depend solely on the forecast wind direction for that day/hunt.....and who uses a windicator (of an kind) to discern the true wind (direction/thermals/etc...).
Kind of like standing over a golf shot. I pick up some grass and throw it in the air. Then head to my stand [8D]
Old 12-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Have any of you noticed that deer seem to "bust" us more due to winding us in the latter part of the season than the earlier part? That sure is what it seems to me. Many factors may cause this including:

The pressure of being hunted during the season whereas in the earlier part of the season deer may tolerate human scent more due to farmers and their machinery being in the fields.

Perhaps the air is heavier in the colder weather so scent doesn't travel as far away or disburse.

Less windy days. Seems like its windier overall in the early half of the season than later on, therefore human scent is still concentrated making it easier to scent us.

Maybe I or we are not practicing scent control later on because of being tired, in a hurry, etc. but I don't believe that to be so in my case.

Or maybe I am just full of it. But I get winded more in the later half of the season than the first half. I am speaking strictly of being winded, not seen or heard.
I would think that leaf drop at this time of year plays a role in this as well.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Also....I'd ask how many depend solely on the forecast wind direction for that day/hunt.....and who uses a windicator (of an kind) to discern the true wind (direction/thermals/etc...).
Kind of like standing over a golf shot. I pick up some grass and throw it in the air. Then head to my stand [8D]
Ditto.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

You are suggesting that leaves on the trees pick up our scent before reaching the ground?

No, I am speaking solely upon being winded. Its relatively easy to define if you have been seen or winded.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I use the internet for projected wind directions and speed, my weather station at home the current wind direction and speed before deciding on a stand location. Most of the time this works for me in my areas although, their will be micro wind patterns that frustrate me the most. The general wind direction may be out of the south, but at any given time during the hunt it may blow in all 4 directions on stand.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

You are suggesting that leaves on the trees pick up our scent before reaching the ground?

No, I am speaking solely upon being winded. Its relatively easy to define if you have been seen or winded.
No. I'm speaking of how the wind will cut through the tree's without leaves on them.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

give me an example of how you you guys hunt the wind...inlcude a scenerio using bedding areas, food sources, travel patterns, etc....Im very interested in how you set up on things..
I have theories about whitetail bucks. Because these theories cannot be proven.. these are just my theories.

Whitetail bucks of an older age class WANT to use at least 2 of their senses at all times when bedded or moving.. or even feeding. I learned this truth over years of hunting fencerow whitetail across my home state.

And it's this want and need that leads me to many of my ambush points on whitetail bucks. If my theory holds water.

Alot of times I'll set up for an wind thats not "all" correct. As in a wind a buck would surely smell me on once he got down of it. But you have to understand I'll hunt a tree once... then move. I'm not afraid to burn a set.

I'll give an example. A swamp example since many of us get to hunt these swamp bucks... or marsh bucks.

I'll set up on the UPwind side of where marsh (ie cattails etc) meet the edge (ie a small oak flat) and usually a wooded line. As in.. when the buck reaches the area of my shot.. he will often know I am there.

Why?

Cause in my theory a whitetail buck almost always travels on the DOWNwind side of these types of terrain (fencerows included). Heavier cover where a whiteatil cannot see into. At least not well.

This way they (the buck) can be DOWNwind of the wooded side.. where they can't see well into.. thus they would find it more comfortable to use their sense of smell.. and have the open marsh to be able to scan with their eyes UPwind of themselves.

And this same theory seems to apply to woods too. But it's trickier to explain.

It's just one of my methods of madness when using the wind to my advantage attempting to predict the trail a buck should seek.

I don't ever reccomend it however.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:23 AM

Ok Duke I was with ya then ya lost me...PM me and lay it down in Layman's terms for me if ya get chance!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Ok Duke I was with ya then ya lost me...PM me and lay it down in Layman's terms for me if ya get chance!
LOL! Thats why I keep this theory to only those I can speak to in person usually. It's harder to communicate this one over the internet without a picture.

But let's face it.. I LOATH putting up pics.. It takes far too much time.

And I suck.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:30 AM

I hear ya.

Quick Reply: How do you hunt the wind...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.