Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Caught a trespasser red handed last night

Old 12-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default Caught a trespasser red handed last night

I was sitting in my stand archery hunting last night. I have a relatively small piece of property that is essentially surrounded by houses so the bow is all that gets used in there. It is also the only property that I have to hunt so I try to manage it as best as I can.

Right around prime time, I see a truck pull off to the side of the road in front of my plot (I told you the property was small). I can see the lights shut off, the engine shut off and a guy get out. As I watched, this guy (dressed in dark clothes) and carrying binos, proceeds to tramp straight though the bedding areas and continue to push right though the middle of the property and about 75 yards past my stand and out of sight in the thick stuff.

The 7 or 8 does I was watching scattered and needless to say my hunt was blown. I was just agitated. This bozo walked right past an entire line of posted signs that were along the road (he parked in front of one to boot).

By the time I got down, I couldn't see him anymore so I went up, got my truck and essentially parked him in while I waited for him to return. When he finally showed up about 15 min later I confronted him.

Heavy canvas jacket (just right for pushing through the thick thorn bushes on the property), hunting boots, heavy jeans and a set of binos on a camo chest strap. Let me guess what this guy was doing.

I told him that what he was doing was trespassing and in typical tresspasser fashon claimed he didn't know, even though he walked within 5 feet of one of the signs. He said he was just taking a walk down by the creek and wasn't hunting.

Now I love to get out into nature as much as the next guy and I MIGHT buy the walk by the creek thing if it were not the fact that this guy pushed through the thickest growth on the property on a path that cut diagonally across the entire property. Even when I was looking for one of my deer earlier this season, I did not relish the thought of going into that area (super heavy undergrowth of nothing but mature greenbriar thorn bushes).

I informed him that if he was found on the property again he would have a problem with the law. The guy didn't give me any trouble but didn't seem all that remorseful either.

I HATE TRESSPASSERS!
Old 12-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Caught a trespasser red handed last night

the law would have been called while i was waiting for him to get back to the truck.........
Old 12-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

I wonder what would have happened if he came in range....would a well placed arrow in his foot make your point more acceptable ?

F.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

He pushed/drove off your property for other hunters and you seemed to have him. I would have had him collared before he was part way and walked him back to his truck, called the authorities with the license number right in front of him.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

He pushed/drove off your property for other hunters
I agree, that is exactly what he was doing. I would have at least called the law on him and had them waiting at his truck when he got back. He now knows that you probably won't do anything, somost likelyhe'll be back. That was the perfect opportunity to have the law catch him "in the act". Would have been even better if he had a weapon, which it sounds like he didn't. Someone else around you is hunting...he's part of that group.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't of done what you did. I would of gotten the law to get him when he came back to the truck
Old 12-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think you do yourself or any other land owners any favors by not prosecuting these thieves.
They count on responses like yours to gt away with trespassing.If you are caught on my land you will be riding in the back of a police car when you leave.
My land is clearly posted and if you choose to ignore my wishes,then the cops can deal with you.[:@]
Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Hind sight is always 20/20. I probably should have called them right away but I can't change that now.

I live next door to the property so if I see another truck nearby the the law will be called first off.

I also know where this guy lives as well as having his Lic Plate number.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

He pushed/drove off your property for other hunters
I agree, that is exactly what he was doing. I would have at least called the law on him and had them waiting at his truck when he got back. He now knows that you probably won't do anything, somost likelyhe'll be back. That was the perfect opportunity to have the law catch him "in the act". Would have been even better if he had a weapon, which it sounds like he didn't. Someone else around you is hunting...he's part of that group.
I've called the law on people in this situation, and given them and opportunity to get the HELL OUT, before the law got there. And he did, he got a visit at his house later that night though, and though we didn't press any charges, he was encouraged NOT to return unless he wanted to forfeit his $300 treestand, $700 bow, and his $200 Chevy!!!!

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if he CAME BACK to get his "weapon," knowing he was about to be confronted if the place is really this small and thick, better to be caught trespassing than hunting illegally on someone's land in most places!!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let him off with a slap on the wrist. You probably won't see him again, but someone else will.

Quick Reply: Caught a trespasser red handed last night

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.