Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New bowhunter needs help

Old 12-07-2008, 07:07 AM

Default New bowhunter needs help

I'm a new poster but have been lurking for years. Sorry if this has been done to death but I couldn't find a way to search old posts. I plan to buy my first bow ever within the next 6 months. I need some help on what to look for. I'm 33 y.o., 5'8", and about 155lb. I'm way past trying to prove how tough I am with an incredible draw weight. I'm thinking something in the 55lb range.I'm looking for a good hunting bow, not an archery competition type bow. I need basic information. For example what is let-off exactly( I think I know) and what are the disadvantages/advantages. For example, does more let off impair accuracy or slow your bow speed? Do longer limbs equal more speed but a larger/heavier bow? I don't want to waste money on accessories or flash, but I want a bow that I will be able to use for years without upgrading and don't mind spending the money if it is money well spent. What features should I look for? Which accessories are really needed to get started and which are bells and whistles? Should I start with fixed or mechanical broadheads? What type of arrows? I know some of this is probably opinion only but any advice would be useful. I will make sure I spend some time getting a proper fit for whatever I buy. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New bowhunter needs help

pretty beefy first time post, but in all, the best piece of advice I can give you is this;

start looking for proshops in your area and ask them the same question, don't be ashamed about your lack of knowledge but don't let them think you're ready to accept everything they say.
TRY OUT as many bows as possible before you decide on the one you want.
For starters I would say a bow with longer axle to axle and some brace height will be more forgiving. Good brands are bowtech, Bear, Diamond, PSE, HOYT.....Matthews
I would start with a 60# turned down to 55#, that way when you get used to the bow, you can crank it up a bit....
And then it all comes down to what you're willing to spend on it.
You'll need a good sight and rest to begin with, a release and arrows that match the bow....
If you get a set-up deal you like don't buy it yet but run it through HNI, the guys on here will give their view first.....
Post a thread about where you live and ask around for adecent proshop near you....

Hope this helps,

and welcome

Frank
Belgium