Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Bow

Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default First Bow

Hey guys would like to get into bow hunting for deer next year and I wanted some opinions on a first bow. What is the best start up bow set for a beginner. I want to be able to use it for a few years. I am 22 years old and dont want to break the bank but i do want a good bow for the money. I was looking at the Bear but I would like to get everyones opinion. I still have to take my bow hunter course so maybe i will get more info there. thanks
Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Bow

I would look at the parker bows they are not to expansive and they are pretty good bows. two years ago i bought mine for 500 dollars new and that was with a dozen arrows.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Bear (showdown) and really like it.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take a hard look at the Bear Lights Out. Shoot as many bows as you can that are in your price range though
Old 12-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

I bought an old CSS(Custom Shooting Systems) from where I first started shooting this past winter. The bow was in perfect condition and was only used a handfull of times. I got it for $200 and I am currently pulling 60 lbs. with a 100 grain arrow and am shooting at 252 fps. So if I were you I would try and look somewhere where you can find used bows for sale and try them out first. But if you want to get it one all set up then get a combo pack from a pro shop near you.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

I have a bear instinct I think its a great bow got the whole setup with everything off ebay for $420 delivered
Old 12-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

like rory said just shoot any bows that you can and narrow it down then ask a bow shop owner about the bow and get some information on it. good luck on the bow shopping
Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 PM

How much do you want to spend??