Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

UV on clothes

Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: UV on clothes

Dave Smith from archery talk? I know him, he has some awesome 3D shoots.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Banned

Well.... I feel that the "experts" that claim to know about what a deer can see may know what they are talking about and I simply use baking soda only on my hunting clothes, as I don't want to use any brighteners or UV brighteners. Baking soda gets them clean but leaves them dull. I never throw them in a dryer(the no dryer is just because a dryer is hard on clothes). This year in the rut I had a crazy day when I saw 20 some bucks and had deer bedded all around me..bucks sparring...chasing off intruders...it was just a magical day. Well...anyway.. I had this buck bed down right below me. I got cocky and moved to quickly with my binoculars wanting to watch a big buck chase off a small buck. Well, I was up approx 25' and when I was just relaxing and taking it for granted that this guy wouldnt notice me..he did. All O f a sudden he just locked right on me. I made no eye contact with him and he just stared in my direction for several minutes...only 5 yds from the base of my tree. Well...he finally realized that his eyes were playing tricks on him, and he went back to sleeping, watching the area intently, and he never looked up at me again. So...my movement got his attention..but he couldn't make out my clothes. Baking soda works in my opinion. See my arrow in the upper, right above the deer..he is close.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I simply use baking soda only on my hunting clothes, as I don't want to use any brighteners or UV brighteners. Baking soda gets them clean but leaves them dull. I never throw them in a dryer(the no dryer is just because a dryer is hard on clothes)
Exactly what I do. Simple fix if there is a problem in the 1st place.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:23 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: blacktail slayer

So what are the none believes thoughts after reading those sites I posted.
As an engineer and scientist myself, I see very little evidence on what UV may appear to deer. Oh sure they can see it, but how does the UV appear in thier eyes. You have posted a few, one being the atsko site, that try to claim a deer would see this glow. Thats just hogwash.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

If something is that cheap to take care of why take the chance?

Dan
Old 01-03-2009, 10:04 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

If something is that cheap to take care of why take the chance?

Dan
I don't see anyone here taking the chance. Nothing wrong with a person asking a question and discussing it learning more about a deers vision. At least I don't see anything wrong with asking the question.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

bigcountry

I'm sure you are a great engineer and scientist, but does your field of work revolve around eye sight, ungulates, and so forth. There are all kinds of smart scientist out there, but they can not do everything and don't know every scientific fact. I take it you did not read through all those articles I posted. You would see time and time again how the UV would stand out to a deers sight compared to their surrounding environment. That does not include the atsko site. To many people jump to conclusions without doing the research, they have paid money for clothing that reflects UV light and they are afraid to admit it may hurt their hunt, they are a scientist that studies (trees, cars, pollution, you name it but not eye sight and ungulates) and think that deer and elk will not spook by seeing a hunter with UV reflecting clothing on. I thought scientist should always have an open mind. We used to think the world was flat. I guess some people may not know that is not true. Oh well. Hope everyone had a happy new year. Good luck to everyone on their 09 hunting seasons.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:20 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: blacktail slayer

bigcountry

I'm sure you are a great engineer and scientist, but does your field of work revolve around eye sight, ungulates, and so forth. There are all kinds of smart scientist out there, but they can not do everything and don't know every scientific fact. I take it you did not read through all those articles I posted. You would see time and time again how the UV would stand out to a deers sight compared to their surrounding environment. That does not include the atsko site. To many people jump to conclusions without doing the research, they have paid money for clothing that reflects UV light and they are afraid to admit it may hurt their hunt, they are a scientist that studies (trees, cars, pollution, you name it but not eye sight and ungulates) and think that deer and elk will not spook by seeing a hunter with UV reflecting clothing on. I thought scientist should always have an open mind. We used to think the world was flat. I guess some people may not know that is not true. Oh well. Hope everyone had a happy new year. Good luck to everyone on their 09 hunting seasons.
My field revolves around optics and sprectum of light, reflections, and so forth. So yea, I believe I have a leg up on most people. I know what rods and cones are. I can read. I am not that smart, but smart enough to know the glow we see using a black light isn't what a deer sees because its not in the UV domain. And smart enough to know that doctors do not know exactly how deer percieve UV that is emitted by the reflections.

I do have an open mind, but you have yet to argue any of the facts. Just posted websites. There may be some merit behind your arguement, but you might want to enlighten us with your own work?

So does your field revolve around eye sight and the study of the eyes, maybe rods and cones? I asked the question, so I am open to hearing your views other than websites. And appreciate your links.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

I do not work with eye sight but I am currently going to OSU going through their Fish & Wildlife program in Oregon. I have had 5 years volunteer work and some seasonal jobs with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. I have posted some peer reviewed and other research articles with scientist and biologist that qualify in eye and ungulate research. Im sure if you take the time to read those article and not just post your own opinion; then you may learn something. Some of them go into pretty deep chemistry and DNA stuff. Very imformative. People don't need to listen to me, but do they down all these scientist research. I don't need to argue the facts, since I have posted the facts for you to read. Do you expect me to type 100 pages worth of facts by rewritting what I have posted? People only need to click on a button on the links and the arguemental facts will be there. I guess some people are not interested in the facts. This does not go towards you, but everyone that likes to deny anything without doing to entire research needed. We can not go by old research, since science is always changing and we find and learn new things every day. How can one person know every scientific outcome to every research on eye sight and ungulates. It is not possible without reading other researchers papers. Just because I am not a scientist on eye sight does not take away the ones research I have posted. I am not saying if you have UV relflecting clothing that you will never get an animal. I am just trying to help people get one more advantage over the animals we hunt. I have been busted by wearing my first UV suit out in the woods this year and have seen what it does to my hunts. I will never wear that Bass Pro suit ever again while hunting. I have never had a problem with any of my other camo. Just my 2 cents. Not trying to force anyone to change their ways.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Hey bigcountry what is it that you do in your day to day job. It kind of sounds like you deal with light with engineering things and not ungulates. I would consider you a really smart guy in your field, but the people in the eye sight of ungulates would be pretty smart in theirs also. I would really like to know what your thoughts are if you decide to read those article I posted. They go into some really good detail. Maybe all those scientist are wrong, but I wouldn't think they all would make huge mistakes. There is even a peer reviewed article or two in there. Google Scholar is a great way to search and find peer reviewed papers. You don't have to worry about getting bad info from searching on there as much as the other part of the internet.

Quick Reply: UV on clothes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.