Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it really that much better??

Old 12-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it really that much better??

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Location is not about state.. it's about what YOU have to hunt.
Many more locations In your state then most.
But if you ain't got them.. it don't mean nothing.

I'll take a great spot in Minnesota over a crappy spot in Illinois anyday. And I'll take a great Illinois spot over a crappy Minnesota spot anyday too.

That's what I'm saying.

People come to Illinois.. hunt with an outfitter on managed acres with 140" mins.. and go WOW Illlinois rocks.

Ya.. try telling that to the native who has to put up with the BS from the outfitter.

C'mon people. I know location matters.. but NOT if you can't hunt it.

It's not about state.. it's ABOUT what YOU can hunt. Period.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

C'mon people. I know location matters.. but NOT if you can't hunt it.
Can't argue with that one at all! Good point.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll take a great spot in Minnesota over a crappy spot in Illinois anyday. And I'll take a great Illinois spot over a crappy Minnesota spot anyday too.
Come on Duke. The point's pretty clear, I thought (Schultzy's). Avg. NC land v. Avg IL land. You gotta kill a P&Y. Where ya going?

You're comparing worst to best and vice versa. Needn't be that way and I'm betting it wasn't the intent.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:39 PM

I agree Duke.. now for the real question...how do the deer, does, bucks, fawns....how do they move there?? frequenty and fairly freely?? or just after light and just before dark like here in Va??
Old 12-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Rory im just trying to see if the guys in those areas strugge to see deer ike we do here at times
We have BIG deer here. They are not everywhere, even on the best managed places. Seeing LOTS of deer, is not common here. 10-15 deer is LOTS of deer in a sit. I have seen over 10 deer on a hunt this year, 4 times.

If anyone thinks for a second that QDMA is practiced by even A THIRD of the state, you are badly mistaken. Little dudes get whacked here, ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

What we have here are super soils and quality genetics. When deer happen to live to 4.5, they have impressive headgear, but even more impressive instincts.

Our 4 year olds are anywhere from 140ish-170ish. So sue us.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Come on Duke. The point's pretty clear, I thought (Schultzy's). Avg. NC land v. Avg IL land. You gotta kill a P&Y. Where ya going?

You're comparing worst to best and vice versa. Needn't be that way and I'm betting it wasn't the intent.
Avg NC land v. Avg IL land. You have to kill a 4.5+ buck, where ya going? P&Y can be a 2.5 yo there, which isn't really a fair comparison.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Landon, the bucks aren't loitering infront of the 7/11 waiting to get shot. I see them early morning/late evening, until the rut. Then its an all day free for all.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:45 PM

come on guys....we are getting way off the rea subject here....I want to hear more about the patterns of these deer....how they move, when they move, how often they move..etc..
Old 12-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

My honest opinion? I think people's views are skewed.

A guy will hunt a state such as PA, NC, AL, FL, TN, KY,___(fill in the blank) and they get frustrated. They are hunting average hunting grounds like everyone else. Then said person will take a trip out of state, but here is the kicker...when they come to the promised lands to hunt, they don't hunt normal hunting grounds like the majority of hunters living there do....they go with a big wig outfitter who has access to 30,000 acres in the Golden Triangle of prime time land managed for huge bucks...and huge bucks they see. They go from hunting standard lands to hunting the mother load of all managed farms to hunt, and attribute the difference to state lines. They return to home state, and tell everyone how much people in IL, KS, IA, __, etc have it made, huge bucks behind every tree.

Are states in the midwest managed better than other areas? Possibly.
Do deer in the midwest naturally have bigger headgear on average and bigger body size than say a coastal VA, NC, or FL counterpart? Obviously.
But a Mature buck is a mature buck...If you can kill them in___ on NORMAL HUNTING LANDS (the kind of land you and I gain access to), then you can more than likely kill them in ____. Obviously each state will offer unique challenges, some being more difficult than others...but it is all relative.

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I am not basing this off of anyone here (sort of), the post was spurred by someone I know personally who just got back from hunting Pike County IL, and how easy deer hunting is up there.
PERFECT REPLY
X2, I hunt in Iowa (Central & Southern), andCOMPLETELY agree with TEmbry's post. Some always think the grass is greener on the other side. Yes, some areas of Iowa are great for deer hunting, but then some areas aren't. It all depends on the management practices in the area you hunt. This season I logged around 175 hours in stand, and saw 2 bucks 150+ from stand (private land), didn't get a shot at either. We do have Big Bucks in Iowa, but so do other states. You still have to HUNT the deer here, it's not just like shooting fish in a barrel.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

VA...never hunted Ill or IA, but in KS they move just the same as here, right before dark and just after daylight. The biggest difference between KY and KS is the number of mature bucks. But, as stated over and over, my KS location could just be that much better than my Ky location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.