Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it really that much better??

Old 12-04-2008, 07:03 PM

Default RE: Is it really that much better??

So far from what I have read.....I can see the lots of peope have been and hunted the midewest or ive there, and they say they see mutipe good bucks of 125 and up...well that doesn't suprise me...I already knew they were there, but from what I gather here, they do seem to move much more freely than here in Va and Nc..so the next question was..."can i I take anything from that and pick brains and see if I can apply it here, at least during bow season"?? after bow season and the hounds hit, it's al null and void... accept for a few small parcels like we hunted tonight...
Old 12-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't know if it's better. Look at the number of deer killed and hunters and then look at the record books. You tell me. I watched a show for about the last 5 minutes tonight. The guy was inIowa on a muzzleloader hunt. He had probably 50 deer in front of him, bucks, does, fawns etc. He watched until he saw what he felt to be a worthy target. He shoots it and it runs out in the field and drops dead. The other deer within bow range of his blind never ran. They just stood there and went back to feeding. You won't find those animals in my woods. LOL If it wasn't that much better do you think all these video shows would end up there.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:11 PM

good point David...so you are saying the deer in general are not as spooked or as leary, and wi move more freey....?? Also, I have only seen one P&Y deer whie bowhunting in the last 17 yrs... now with that said, I have deer on my wall that woud go 125 or better, mostly gun kills, the probem here isn't that we don't have them, we have them and we have enough of them to kill....the issue is this...

1. Im not good enough yet
2. They don't move very often
3. Im not good enough yet
Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

the issue is this...

1. Im not good enough yet
2. They don't move very often
3. Im not good enough yet
that's what many fail to accept, it's easier to blame outter factors. Ill be the first to admit, I have little to no clue when it comes to big bucks. My area has some real studs, and I obviously am not killing them.

Don't sell yourself too short though, killing a big deer is always going to be harder where there is more pressure, less of them (antler size wise), and hounds running around purposely chasing deer.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:18 PM

Im not sure if KY counts as a Midwest state or not, but we have plenty of P&Y+ deer...They don't move all day. The big guys are out during their summer feeding patterns, the rut, and thats about it...sure you can catch one slipping up at other times, but for the most part, they are nocturnal any other times. Certainly not cruising all day.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Is it really that much better hunting in Iowa, ILL, and KS than the rest of the country..?? You read about it, you watch it, and you see the pics of guys on here...is it just that easy to go out there, given it's private land, all things being equal..is it just a better place to hunt??? I mean every state has some big bucks, the numbers might not be there, but the bucks are there...or is it that those states have more big deer, but as equally hard to kill as anywhere esle?? do those big bucks move more during day light?? do they move all day?? Im not trying to start a location thread....Im trying figure out if I can actually take something from a guy who hunts these states vs here in Va...is what he does going to be helpfu to me?? We have so many variables here in Va...deer hounds a year long in the woods, popuation of peope is crazy, land is soooo hard to come by, and it it's warmer longer....anyone ever hunted the midwest and the east that can tell me??
It's not.

But here's why.. before you jump on my case.

Location is about the land YOU have access too. Nothing more.

I've hunted all over the state of Illinois and southern Wisconsin.. and there is plenty of land thats not good for hunting deer.

I've hunted 20 minutes from one piece to the next where it was like hunting night and day.

Location is ABOUT THE LAND YOU HAVE ACCESS TOO.. not the state.

Now.. the out of staters think Illinois is amazing.. because they come out and hunt privately owned and managed acres on the Mississippi river. Well DUH you are gonna see LOTS of big deer there. That's a no brainer.

And although I've never hunted Iowa.. I am sure its pretty accurate to that state too. And the other "big buck states" as well.

Location is not about state.. it's about what YOU have to hunt.

Ask the Georgia natives. In most of that state the deer are pretty small (body and rack size).. but towards the northern half (i think it was) the deer hunting is much better and the bucks are pushing 200 on the hoof!

Maryland is another perfect example. Mostly a smaller buck state.. except some REAL great counties that produce GIANTS every year.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Many more locations In your state then most.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Old 12-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

But look at it this way Matt...how many years have you hunted IL? How many mature bucks have you taken? Which state was your biggest buck from? (I don't know these answers, not loaded questions)
Ive hunted Illinois for a total of 6 weeks spread over 4 seasons........I've taken ZERO "mature" bucks. LOL but I've also SEEN literally dozens with no good shot opportunities. Hell I saw a 150-160" 10 pt the first AM of the first day I ever hunted in Illinois on a DIY hunt. And if it wasn't for my complete stupidity spooking the doe he was with I would have killed him at 7 yards. LOL To that point in PA I had never seen even one in 20 full seasons.

Ok so I killed my biggest buck in PA, the ONLY P&Y deer I have ever seen on the hoof in PA in my life and I killed him........statictical anomoly that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. [8D]

What you also have to realize is that for 4 seasons in IL plus Nebraska I have passed up handfuls of deer that would have been my best to date by far hoping for a gagger........deer I would have emptied my quiver at and lept from my stand to kill with my bare hands in PA if need be.

The odds tell me I need to be hunting out there.
I honestly feel like I should/would be putting down a solid P&Y buck where we hunt in Illinois probably every other or every 3rd year.........in PA I have only SEEN the one I killed last year.

We have roughly 1,000,000 licensed hunters here, probably 3/4 of them still have a "buck" tag come rifle season which is a 2 week 3pts to a side, plus we're gonna kill every button buck that walks by, free-for-all.......vs 2 short shotgun seasons in a state where you'll get made fun of for shooting a 1.5yr old?
There's no comparison that can be made between PA and a state like Illinois or Iowa beyond we both have whitetail deer.
Hunt the central.. east central to the northeastern part of the state and tell me how you feel then.

I know it's about location here in hunting. But I don't count when guys go to the Mississippi side to hunt. Cause its like a whole nother world over there.

Outfitters are both to blame and thank for that.[&:]

Old 12-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

That is what I was trying to say with my first post, Duke probably did a better job. Thanks, and I agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.