Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it really that much better??

Old 12-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it really that much better??

Here is my question:

Lets go fromyour side Landon acrossto Varina Enon Plantation.... we are talking about someone who is capable with a .308 and no wind being able to shoot a deer in Henrico while standing in Chesterfield (just to put in perspective for y'all exactly how far we are talking here.... about 800 yards of marsh/swamp and river).

We know what kinda action we are seeing on the southside... (little to none). What I want to know... is go across the James to Enon where if I recall correctly there are exactly three people who have permission to hunt (and I know Todd only waterfowl hunts). The place is isolated by high bluffs.... Varina Road, two dense swamps in easementsand the James River.... I'd like to know what sort of deer activity and movement they are experiencing there with little to no pressure or tresspassingand certainly no hounds running rampant?

For everyone wondering.... I don't think I have seen a deer moving on its own during day light hours while hunting in the last ten hunts.... that dates back to the first week of NOVEMBER. Can you imagine hunting (and hunting pretty hard) for a MONTH and not even seeing a damn doe? Welcome to VA... wanna kill deer.... release the hounds.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

But look at it this way Matt...how many years have you hunted IL? How many mature bucks have you taken? Which state was your biggest buck from? (I don't know these answers, not loaded questions)
Ive hunted Illinois for a total of 6 weeks spread over 4 seasons........I've taken ZERO "mature" bucks. LOL but I've also SEEN literally dozens with no good shot opportunities. Hell I saw a 150-160" 10 pt the first AM of the first day I ever hunted in Illinois on a DIY hunt. And if it wasn't for my complete stupidity spooking the doe he was with I would have killed him at 7 yards. LOL To that point in PA I had never seen even one in 20 full seasons.

Ok so I killed my biggest buck in PA, the ONLY P&Y deer I have ever seen on the hoof in PA in my life and I killed him........statictical anomoly that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. [8D]

What you also have to realize is that for 4 seasons in IL plus Nebraska I have passed up handfuls of deer that would have been my best to date by far hoping for a gagger........deer I would have emptied my quiver at and lept from my stand to kill with my bare hands in PA if need be.

The odds tell me I need to be hunting out there.
I honestly feel like I should/would be putting down a solid P&Y buck where we hunt in Illinois probably every other or every 3rd year.........in PA I have only SEEN the one I killed last year.

We have roughly 1,000,000 licensed hunters here, probably 3/4 of them still have a "buck" tag come rifle season which is a 2 week 3pts to a side, plus we're gonna kill every button buck that walks by, free-for-all.......vs 2 short shotgun seasons in a state where you'll get made fun of for shooting a 1.5yr old?
There's no comparison that can be made between PA and a state like Illinois or Iowa beyond we both have whitetail deer.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Todd, PA is a whole different animal. With a one and your done tag system thats been in place for fifty years.

The only question asked is if you got "your" buck. Any buck ,with over a million hunters management goals didn't exist.
Now we have A.R. to protect small bucks but to keep the piece every doe past spots is killed.

No middle of the road for PA.[:@][:@][:@]
Old 12-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am thankful I do not live in VA. Dog hunting would be the death of me. First dog came across my property would be dead, and I would be in Jail. I guess I shouldput a bumper sticker on my Truck. At least I don't hunt in VA, Woof Woof!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt do you think this is influenced by the # of big racked bucks on the surrounding private land? Do people hunting the public land in Il. pass on younger- smaller racked bucks because of the potential for something bigger? Do people hunting public land in PA. shoot the first buck they see because of the lack of potential?
Yes, yes, andFrickin' A YES,combined with far less pressure to begin with.
But it's more like the feeling of PRESSURE that causes people to shoot the first legal buck they see......they truly believe that if they don't shoot it the next guy over will so THAT is their opportunity for the season.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

But look at it this way Matt...how many years have you hunted IL? How many mature bucks have you taken? Which state was your biggest buck from? (I don't know these answers, not loaded questions)
Ive hunted Illinois for a total of 6 weeks spread over 4 seasons........I've taken ZERO "mature" bucks. LOL but I've also SEEN literally dozens with no good shot opportunities. Hell I saw a 150-160" 10 pt the first AM of the first day I ever hunted in Illinois on a DIY hunt. LOL To that point in PA I had never seen even one in 20 full seasons.

Ok so I killed my biggest buck in PA, the ONLY P&Y deer I have ever seen on the hoof in PA in my life and I killed him........statictical anomoly that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. [8D]

What you also have to realize is that for 4 seasons in IL plus Nebraska I have passed up handfuls of deer that would have been my best to date by far hoping for a gagger........deer I would have emptied my quiver at and lept from my stand to kill with my bare hands in PA if need be.

I honestly feel like I should/would be putting down a solid P&Y buck where we hunt in Illinois probably every other or every 3rd year.........in PA I have only SEEN the one I killed last year.

We have roughly 1,000,000 licensed hunters here, probably 3/4 of them still have a "buck" tag come rifle season which is a 2 week 3pts to a side, plus we're gonna kill every button buck that walks by, free-for-all.......vs 2 short shotgun seasons in a state where you'll get made fun of for shooting a 1.5yr old?
There's no comparison that can be made between PA and a state like Illinois or Iowa beyond we both have whitetail deer.
Points all valid and taken. I think that ties back into hunter's attitudes more than anything (what I struggle with here locally). Is IL managed THAT much better with that much more potential, or is it the attitude of hunters?

If PA hunters had the mindset of IL hunters...would the hunting be similar after 3-4 years?

Like I said, Antler wise? No doubt they can grow bigger where there are unlimited food resources, good cover, and good genetics....but the number of mature bucks has nothing to do with that, it's all in the hunting season's structure, and the overall attitude of hunting.

The more I think about it, the more Im starting to believe the attitude of the hunting masses is the number one factor into how good the deer hunting is, big bucks speaking...Big picture here, not a single farm, a state or at the very least a county's area.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Ive hunted Illinois for a total of 6 weeks spread over 4 seasons........I've taken ZERO "mature" bucks. LOL but I've also SEEN literally dozens with no good shot opportunities. Hell I saw a 150-160" 10 pt the first AM of the first day I ever hunted in Illinois on a DIY hunt. LOL To that point in PA I had never seen even one in 20 full seasons.

That pretty much mirrors my experience hunting in Illinois. I hunted out there three timesdoing the DIY thing. Never killed a buck, but wow. I saw some tremendous animals the likes of which I've never seen on the hoof here in PA. I still have memoriesof one particular buck that wasn't meant to be. Real dark slate gray looking coat, and 8 great big points on a heavy wide frame. Sway back and belly hanging. The deer had to be 275 pounds on the hoof. Wow... Very un-Pennsylvania like.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Ph of the lands are day and night different.The farmers in PA must lime their fields regularly yet line stone is mined in the mid-west.

Take a look at at a 2 1/2 year old deer from PA and one from Iowa.[:-]
Old 12-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

A while back someone posted a p&y or b&c chart showing state by state #'s and records. One thing I noticed was that almost every states' top end bucks were way up there score wise. that made me wonder - is it really the location or is it the management practices and hunter additudes about what they shoot that really is the biggest difference between areas. Take Mi for example. What if all those hunters decided to hold out for a 125" buck and let the little ones walk. Would Mi be just as good as Il.? Or at least much better than it is?
Old 12-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

A while back someone posted a p&y or b&c chart showing state by state #'s and records. One thing I noticed was that almost every states' top end bucks were way up there score wise. that made me wonder - is it really the location or is it the management practices and hunter additudes about what they shoot that really is the biggest difference between areas. Take Mi for example. What if all those hunters decided to hold out for a 125" buck and let the little ones walk. Would Mi be just as good as Il.? Or at least much better than it is?
That is huge IMO management practices

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.