Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it really that much better??

Old 12-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it really that much better??

There definantly isn't one in every woodlot. I have hunted Illinois for 10 years now. It is nothing like what you see on T.V. in my woods. However, I'm in no way acting like it is worse or equal to some places in the southeast.

Most private land around here is even over hunted, and shotgun season is FILLED with hunters in nearly every ridge top. I'm not going to act like we don't have any big deer, because there are some absolute brutes taken from my area every year. However, I can't really relate to alot of the stories about the hunts that occur on mega managed lands and outfitters.

If you are able to own land and manage it how you wish, then yes you will be able to grow large deer, and probably kill a few. But from MY EXPERIENCE, I don't understand why people say hunting in Illinois is easy.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted 22 years in IL and killed one that will make book. I suck.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:15 PM

Location location location!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can only speak for PA and our 270,000 archers all trying to do the same thing while also dodging early RIFLE seasons, muzzleloader seasons, turkey and small game seasons, not to mention the thousands of "nature lovers" who find there way into your life via bike, horse or dog leash ...........all in a season that starts too late and ends too early in a state with too little agrigulture vs too much damaged big woods and the worlds highest concentration of posted signs.

I've hunted a mix of public and private land here in PA for 24 seasons nowon mostly private land and the PUBLIC land that I hunt in Illinois is better than any private land I've hunted in PA. The PRIVATE land I've hunted in Illinois makes it almost seem like a waste of time to hunt in PA .......PERIOD.
There is no comparison unless you have some absolute honey hole, family owned ,locked up, posted and patrolled private land here, and even if you do your neighbors are whacking every 5pt that sticks it's neck out.

Other than that I'd say that PAanyway is pretty similar to Iowa, Illinois, or Kansas.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Rory im just trying to see if the guys in those areas strugge to see deer ike we do here at times...PLEASE people do not spin this....I don't care where you hunt, I know a deer is sti a deer with senses, I want to know how the deer move out there and especiay big bucks...here it is very hard to see them most of the year without a push or hounds...
Lol I know I was just messing. I'm sure those states have their "not so hot" counties too, just like I'm sure where ever you're comparing them to has. I know that's how it is here in Missouri. We have some KILLER deer counties, then we also have some total crap. The best counties are also the ones with the least amount of pressure, the most agriculture, etc. I'd love to hear on this thread from someone who has hunted one of the states you mentioned, and a not so well known deer state, and hear what they have to say.
Good thread IMO.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Now I can see your point Landon, my friend also tells us ILL has more gunshots in the short shotgun season than all of the three months he used to spend in a tree in GA. He states when this occurs the deer go "away" for awhile and come back when the winters force them to his plots.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well there are a few of these in southern NH
199 5/8 gross ~ 187 2/8 Net

He got this about 20-25 miles from my house, I just wish I knew from what tree!
And we have the world champion Boston Celtics playing during hunting season

Old 12-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Certain PARTS of Certain STATES are better.

Not states in general.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Iowa season is perfect for bowhunters

Oct 1st through Nov 30th

Give me that season with MI location and I will put some big boys down!!!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:19 PM

very correct Michael...and again, no envy here brother, I love the pics from those places, and like I said, we have 200" deer here just not as many, and I will admit Im not good enough to get em, but they are here andalive, no excuses...My goal here is to see how they move more than anything...are more reluctant to move there or do they move more often during dayight...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.