Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it really that much better??

Old 12-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is it really that much better??

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

Anyways:

_____________ has more "certain parts" then people think. I think people (not just you) are still looking "too big". Think smaller. Not even regions of the state, I'm talking move COUNTIES.
fixed it for you as that applies anywhere. Ill one up you and say counties can even be too big of a picture. Moving 5 minutes down the road can make all the difference in the world from famine to feast.
You just beat me to It Trev!! My brothers other spot he hunts he's saw 4 or 5 P&Y bucks, rut sign everywhere, tracks, you name It. 5 miles from him where I hunt I've seen one P&Y buck, no rut sign anywhere, no big tracks, nothing!! Want to know the difference between the 2? My area gets hammered every year gun hunting, his doesn't near as bad. Hunting pressure Is what It's all about, It changes everything.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:36 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I'd also like to note that within the next year I'm gonna try to make a trip to Kansas or Iowa to hunt whitetail.

Now.. I'm not stupid enough to point at my globe and say.. "Iowa is great and full of big bucks.. I'll just go here". And point to anywheresville Iowa.

I'm gonna research. Ask Q's to those who live and hunt there.. and get the best knowledge I can of that state... that region.. that county.. that township I want to be.

I don't want to go to Iowa. I want to go to a piece of heaven in Iowa.

Does that make more sense for some of you.
So where are you going in Iowa? Why aren't you making this trip to Maine, or NY, or Rhode Island? Heck, how about Indiana or Vermont?
If your going to makea point, leave out the state sandwiched by KY, IL, and OH. I'd GLADLY head up to IN, it has great potential.

I don't think your catching Duke's drift..He was emphasizing how he wanted to go to the best location offered within those states. If he had the same opportunity for one of the states you listed, Im betting he wouldn't turn it down. I'd take his place if he did.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Anyways:

_____________ has more "certain parts" then people think. I think people (not just you) are still looking "too big". Think smaller. Not even regions of the state, I'm talking move COUNTIES.
fixed it for you as that applies anywhere. Ill one up you and say counties can even be too big of a picture. Moving 5 minutes down the road can make all the difference in the world from famine to feast.
You just beat me to It Trev!! My brothers other spot he hunts he's saw 4 or 5 P&Y bucks, rut sign everywhere, tracks, you name It. 5 miles from him where I hunt I've seen one P&Y buck, no rut sign anywhere, no big tracks, nothing!! Want to know the difference between the 2? My area gets hammered every year gun hunting, his doesn't near as bad. Hunting pressure Is what It's all about, It changes everything.
I'd be telling bro to scoot over.

It isn't just the gun hunters either though, it's the ones that shoot anything with antlers regardless of weapon. If these gun hunters pounded the deer but were selective with what they shot as you are...Im betting the deer sightings, size, everything would go way up.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I'd also like to note that within the next year I'm gonna try to make a trip to Kansas or Iowa to hunt whitetail.

Now.. I'm not stupid enough to point at my globe and say.. "Iowa is great and full of big bucks.. I'll just go here". And point to anywheresville Iowa.

I'm gonna research. Ask Q's to those who live and hunt there.. and get the best knowledge I can of that state... that region.. that county.. that township I want to be.

I don't want to go to Iowa. I want to go to a piece of heaven in Iowa.

Does that make more sense for some of you.
So where are you going in Iowa? Why aren't you making this trip to Maine, or NY, or Rhode Island? Heck, how about Indiana or Vermont?
If your going to makea point, leave out the state sandwiched by KY, IL, and OH. I'd GLADLY head up to IN, it has great potential.

I don't think your catching Duke's drift..He was emphasizing how he wanted to go to the best location offered within those states. If he had the same opportunity for one of the states you listed, Im betting he wouldn't turn it down. I'd take his place if he did.
I didn't miss his drift at all. I just thought he forgot to complete the sentence. It was suggested that the grass isn't necessarily greener. I say it is... no question about it or he wouldn't chose to go there like the rest of the big buck hunters and video folkswho make the pilgrimages every year. The record books alone don't lie. Indiana does have some nice deer and that's why I threw it in.... but Iowa, Kansas etc are better.... we all have to agree on that or we're fooling ourselves.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyways:

It isn't just the gun hunters either though, it's the ones that shoot anything with antlers regardless of weapon. If these gun hunters pounded the deer but were selective with what they shot as you are...Im betting the deer sightings, size, everything would go way up.
The number of gun hunters vs. bow hunters here would scare the **** out of you, though. But you are technically correct. Just sayin'. Our rifle season is peak rut, another problem. That is why he mentioned rifle hunting, and DNR.

For the record: I don't care if anyone rifle hunts[&:]

And I swear, before I die, my new goal is to kill a P and Y in NC, and NY. I'll go to the best location within the location though. That is legit.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anyways:

Well actually where I'm hunting It Is just the gun hunters with the "brown It's down deal". There's not to many bow hunters around the area I hunt. In other places though Trevor yes you are right, It Isn't just the gun hunters. Bro can't scoot over either being he's the only one that can hunt It. He's got It good and he knows It!![8D] He also helped make It that way though by passing on 1.5, 2.5, and some 3.5's to get It this way.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I say none of you have a clue what hunting pressure is.The 400 hundred acres I hunt has already had 30 deer taken off it this year and there was 27 taken off it last year.THAT IS PRESSURE.

AND I still see P&Y deer from time to time.

BUT,I have to use the hunters to hunt the deer.I just don't get many shot oportunities.That is what made the 3 1/2 year old(I think) I shot this year really a big deal.(for me anyways)

The deer I hunt move during the day but they keep it in deep cover.Then later in the year,they become very hard to hunt because they bed next to the food,which is in the fields(they enter at night)This makes it really tough to get in on them.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Matt I would spoon my self to death in Iowa

Here is a great stat, and i hunt some great ground in MI. I am truly blessed IMO. In 2007 in 1 sit I seen 3 mature bucks in KY. In two season in MI I have seen 2
Yes Germ but the land you hunted is better then 90% of theprivate ground in Ky.

No gun hunting and under QDM, with lots of farm land all around it.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

Here is a great stat, and i hunt some great ground in MI. I am truly blessed IMO. In 2007 in 1 sit I seen 3 mature bucks in KY. In two season in MI I have seen 2
Yes Germ but the land you hunted is better then 90% of the private ground in Ky.

AND Farm land on it that is harvested with the deer and turkey in mind.They even leave strips for them.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

Yes Germ but the land you hunted is better then 90% of theprivate ground in Ky.

AND Farm land on it that is harvested with the deer and turkey in mind.They even leave strips for them.
AND...well[&o], I have nothing to add...just emphasizing youre all's points.

There is a farm 10 minutes from my house that consistently has 10+ deer taken on it at a whopping 80 acres. Not all land is created equal, lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.