Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it really that much better??

Old 12-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is it really that much better??

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

I can tel you this, a 115" buck is usually getting an arrow in him around here....honestly, I bet Va could rival lots of states if the hounds were gone and we had AR....most deer don't make it to 4.5 here and yet we have big bucks every year.

Not familiar with VA, at all, but I would agree.

I would think that this is true, everywhere?
I think this Is also a reason why the big buck states are better then the rest. They know they have big bucks (Inches) so they pass on them 115" bucks. In reality there are places other then the big buck states that have great genetics but the hunters aren't helping there own cause.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe more to the heart of the question of this post. I get night time trail cam pics of some bucks that I never see during the day, even hunting hard all season. If I do see them, it's most likely during the rut.

Shotgun season sends the deer "under ground". Big deer don't get big by being stupid no matter where they are.

Also, hunters are starting to slack off the younger bucks. Even the DNR is encouraging hunters to take a doe instead.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: IA Buck Hunter

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

My honest opinion? I think people's views are skewed.

A guy will hunt a state such as PA, NC, AL, FL, TN, KY,___(fill in the blank) and they get frustrated. They are hunting average hunting grounds like everyone else. Then said person will take a trip out of state, but here is the kicker...when they come to the promised lands to hunt, they don't hunt normal hunting grounds like the majority of hunters living there do....they go with a big wig outfitter who has access to 30,000 acres in the Golden Triangle of prime time land managed for huge bucks...and huge bucks they see. They go from hunting standard lands to hunting the mother load of all managed farms to hunt, and attribute the difference to state lines. They return to home state, and tell everyone how much people in IL, KS, IA, __, etc have it made, huge bucks behind every tree.

Are states in the midwest managed better than other areas? Possibly.
Do deer in the midwest naturally have bigger headgear on average and bigger body size than say a coastal VA, NC, or FL counterpart? Obviously.
But a Mature buck is a mature buck...If you can kill them in___ on NORMAL HUNTING LANDS (the kind of land you and I gain access to), then you can more than likely kill them in ____. Obviously each state will offer unique challenges, some being more difficult than others...but it is all relative.

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I am not basing this off of anyone here (sort of), the post was spurred by someone I know personally who just got back from hunting Pike County IL, and how easy deer hunting is up there.
PERFECT REPLY
X2, I hunt in Iowa (Central & Southern), andCOMPLETELY agree with TEmbry's post. Some always think the grass is greener on the other side. Yes, some areas of Iowa are great for deer hunting, but then some areas aren't. It all depends on the management practices in the area you hunt. This season I logged around 175 hours in stand, and saw 2 bucks 150+ from stand (private land), didn't get a shot at either. We do have Big Bucks in Iowa, but so do other states. You still have to HUNT the deer here, it's not just like shooting fish in a barrel.
OR... your skills as a hunter suck.[8D]
Old 12-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you aren't happy with your "location", change locations. Pretty self explanitory.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Nobody said they weren't happy, Kyle. That don't fly.

You can't make this stuff up.....This is from a thread on the forum right now. This guy lives 20 minutes from me.

At the same time this deer would be the biggest buck I have ever encountered. After all, I only have the rights to hunt 40 acres that is surrounded by 100+ acres

Old 12-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

My honest opinion? I think people's views are skewed.

A guy will hunt a state such as PA, NC, AL, FL, TN, KY,___(fill in the blank) and they get frustrated. They are hunting average hunting grounds like everyone else. Then said person will take a trip out of state, but here is the kicker...when they come to the promised lands to hunt, they don't hunt normal hunting grounds like the majority of hunters living there do....they go with a big wig outfitter who has access to 30,000 acres in the Golden Triangle of prime time land managed for huge bucks...and huge bucks they see. They go from hunting standard lands to hunting the mother load of all managed farms to hunt, and attribute the difference to state lines. They return to home state, and tell everyone how much people in IL, KS, IA, __, etc have it made, huge bucks behind every tree.

Are states in the midwest managed better than other areas? Possibly.
Do deer in the midwest naturally have bigger headgear on average and bigger body size than say a coastal VA, NC, or FL counterpart? Obviously.
But a Mature buck is a mature buck...If you can kill them in___ on NORMAL HUNTING LANDS (the kind of land you and I gain access to), then you can more than likely kill them in ____. Obviously each state will offer unique challenges, some being more difficult than others...but it is all relative.

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I am not basing this off of anyone here (sort of), the post was spurred by someone I know personally who just got back from hunting Pike County IL, and how easy deer hunting is up there.
This is a great reply to the original post.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Nobody said they weren't happy, Kyle. That don't fly.
Damn. I must have forgot what you all were arguing over.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

What is your perception of a 115" deer in your state, comparable to one in IL?
Is this like that question about a train leaving Chicago and a train leaving New York?

They're both 115"? What are you asking?

If you're asking if they're "old hat" in IL? I don't know. Are there a helluva lot more of them (%-age wise) in IL? I haven't counted them.....but deductive reasoning (based on the TV shows, existence of outfitters, harvest photos from here and other forums, and a PM I got from Chief Illiniwek himself) tells me you have a lot more than we do.

My perception is....HONESTLY....we're talking about a 2.5 yr old IL deer and a 4.5 yr old NC deer.

Good call Jeff. Didn't ask it right.

A 115" in NC is a ____" deer in IL?

That might be better. My bad!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd also like to note that within the next year I'm gonna try to make a trip to Kansas or Iowa to hunt whitetail.

Now.. I'm not stupid enough to point at my globe and say.. "Iowa is great and full of big bucks.. I'll just go here". And point to anywheresville Iowa.

I'm gonna research. Ask Q's to those who live and hunt there.. and get the best knowledge I can of that state... that region.. that county.. that township I want to be.

I don't want to go to Iowa. I want to go to a piece of heaven in Iowa.

Does that make more sense for some of you.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I answered that, ICALL. It's a 2.5 yr old.

Kyle. Nobody's arguing either. Keep tryin!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.