Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it really that much better??

Old 12-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is it really that much better??

Somebody name me a big buck "outfitter" in PA that doesn't have a 12' barbed wire fence around 100 acres?
NY?
VA?

Anyone, anybody?

Someone name me ONE person from IL, IA, or KS that comes to PA, NY or VA to hunt deer every year. Just one.

I'm just so fed up with York Co. PA being completely under outfitter control or beaing leased up by rich hunters who want all this good hunting to themselves forcing us average guys to Illinois.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 PM

Ok now we are getting somewhere!! Thanks Duke and Motown and drhntr.... yes there are lots of deer here in eastern Va...hell Va has over 1 mil deer...we have very liberal bag limits, 3 bucks and and as many does as you want to buy tags for. So from what I gather here, you guys are saying aside from the outfitter land and the lower portion of the state of IL the deer are pretty much the same as here, scared. Is this correct?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

ORIGINAL: mahoningbuck

You can never throw OHIO out the door with the bow harvests the last ten years. I think the DNR has done a fabulous job making Ohio's deer population strong. We are seeing more and more out of staters coming our way because of the potential of taking a super quality buck or doe for that matter. I am sick and tired of the whole Pike county this and Pike county that.......if it wasnt for the Drury brothers and their lackluster team over mover inners on others property no one would of given two craps about Illinois. Now is the whole state of Ohio loaded with deer......NO! Ohio as most other states has differences in habitate and I think that is the number one factor to getting quality deer. After that comes management from both the DNR and land owners.
IMO Pike County is a tad overated. Not because they don't have big deer, or because it's not great hunting,but becausenearly every farm there is eitherunder the control of outfitters, rich landowners who manage their lands, or farmers that lease their lands who in return get managed. You take all of that in such a concentrated area and add in some great genetics and good soil and you will get big bucks.

I am up that way every Friday and you can bet your life that I have seen some giants crossing the road and standing in the middle of fields. This falls in line with what DUKE is saying though. The average joe hunting Illinois on his middle class salary is most likely not going to have access to this land.

I have hadcontact with 1 outfitter in pike[:'(][:'(][:'(]andhe happens to be one of the most prominent andmost highly regardedones in the state.
It is a shame that hunting has turned to this type of activity. I get sick thinking about the economic raping of hunting. IMO I would never pay to hunt any where.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know what to say......That's just amazing. I've hunted over 200 times spanning nearly 4 seasons now .....and I've never seen a 115" deer from stand.

Duke...he ain't helping!

Do they exist in your state?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Of course they do. If your implication is I'm not in the right spot.....then go back to what Schultzy said a couple pages ago.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:26 PM

for the record....Va has some whoppers, when the season is over Im going to scan some pics from my album of deer killed just on our farm and in my town, it will shock lots of people...I ove hunting Va, it's been good to me, I don't think I will ever go anywhere else to hunt...so it's not about me ooking to go out to the midwest, it's more am I wasting my time reading info on deer behavior out there as it does not or does apply to Va...again, we have the bucks, I need help learning them. can I learn from a guy who hunts southern IL?? IA? KS?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Rory im just trying to see if the guys in those areas strugge to see deer ike we do here at times...PLEASE people do not spin this....I don't care where you hunt, I know a deer is sti a deer with senses, I want to know how the deer move out there and especiay big bucks...here it is very hard to see them most of the year without a push or hounds...
Vabowman...Living in Illinois I can assure you from my experience, bigger bucks here act like bigger bucks everywhere...extremly cautious, extremly nocturnal...and certain places are better...way better than others. I have hunted for a week straight before and only seen little bucks and Doe's. There is not a 130"+ standing behind every tree in the Midwest, just more overall. During the rut they do come out more during day time hours, and lose some of there cautious behavior. But to answer your question, I think if you hunted the same wayhere for a year and hunted the same way inVa. for a year, you'd see more big deer here just because of the numbers game.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Dominant Buck

VA....I've been saying this for a long time....

It's arrogant as hell for someone 4 states over to think they know your woods better than you.

That being said....YEah...you can learn from someone over there. But when it comes right down to it.....you're gonna have to take it in......apply what's applicable.....discard the junk.....and make your own plan.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Y'all are gettin' off topic here.... its not about how big... or if a big one is there.... big is relative... it might mean 200" in ILL or IA and 170" in VA or NC.... but a 4.5 year old deer is 4.5 year old deer... no matter where you put him.....

or is he....???? Thats the question....

Forget about where the biggest deer are... because we can only base that on what has hit the ground.... we are talking about the deer on the hoof.... and are they following similar habits and patterns in the mid-west as they are in the South East? Granted we have different habitats and food preferences... but frankly there is a lot more food here in the SE than there are in parts of the eastern Miss mountains like Ohio and KY.... yet the deer seem to keep on a moving there.....
Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 PM

solo that I beieve.. But woud you say overall that deer in general move more often in the midwest than anywhere else... I can tell you this, I have some property that only a few hunt and it doesn't see hounds until late in the season...but the deer still only move very little, I mean sometimes you may se 8 or 12 in an evening, once a year, but average, you may see 1-3 every 2 sits if you are good..(rut not included) but the rut here isn't much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.