Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Mount Question Help

Old 12-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer Mount Question Help

Here is a sneak I just got back this past year

Old 12-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

my dads get his wyomig mule deer mounted with the mckenzies full sneak. hes going to go with the semi-sneak but with that one you couldnt see the back points if you looked at it head on but with the full-sneak you can see emall
Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

we really didnt care to much for the full sneak thats why we went with the semi sneak alert this is his first mount and first buck so we just really wanted a regular shoulder mount but thought this looked better. If anyone can find some picsof a Semi Sneak Alert mount please post still have been looking on the weband cant find any yet just want to see how the finished product will look without going to the taxidermy again Thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bow Hunter

we really didnt care to much for the full sneak thats why we went with the semi sneak alert this is his first mount and first buck so we just really wanted a regular shoulder mount but thought this looked better. If anyone can find some picsof a Semi Sneak Alert mount please post still have been looking on the weband cant find any yet just want to see how the finished product will look without going to the taxidermy again Thanks
A Semi-Sneak is a semi-sneak unless the head is up or down in which case it's a Semi Sneak Head up or Head down. LOL

There is no such thing as a Semi-Sneak "Alert" form........the alert part will come from your taxidermist and how he sets the ears which I'm assuming you told him you want mounted in the alert position.

99% of the time you will seea Semi Sneak deer with it's ears BACK not alert........I know my taxidermist would whack me in the head with a squirrel form if I asked him for a Semi Sneak deer with alert ears.

Check out this picture.......it has a pretty good selection of form styles and you'll notice one thing: All the Semi Sneak mounts have ears that go back.
A couple of the upright or semi upright styles have alert ears and oddly the one Full sneak but none of the Semi Sneaks. (The big middle picture is a Semi Sneak as well)

It's your deer and I don't want to tell you what to do.......I just know any taxidermist worth his salt is cringing inside when someone wants a Semi Sneak with alert ears. LOL
Old 12-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Matt I uderstand what you are sayingI think I am going to give him a call we were looking right at the mckenzie book when we picked it out maybe someone on here has the book andmight be able to clear it up it was just one page that had deer mounts on it showing you the finished product the ticket he gave me says alert sneak on it but I know I didnt get a full sneak I did find these on the mckenzie web site they do say alert rut semi sneak I will give him a call tommorrow to make shure of what I am getting

Whitetail, Whitetail, Semi-Sneak, Shoulder Mount, Alert Rut, white banded eyes, Left turn, 7 1/4 x 19 1/2
Price: $58.50

Whitetail, Semi-Sneak, Shoulder Mount, Alert Rut, white banded eyes, Left turn, 7 3/8 x 20 1/4
Price: $60.95

Old 12-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

For a first shoulder mount I don't think you could go wrong with one of McKenzie's "HD" regular semi-sneak forms.
The upper right one in the picture is an HD with what looks to be a shoulder offset as well with ears back.

WIthout complicating things duplicating that mount would be a sure fire mount you'd be happy with........that frickin rack would help too. LOL but that's really a classic "appropriate" pose and like I said one that would be hard to go wrong with.
I bet the vast majority of taxidermists would recommend something very similar if they had to choose a forst mount for you.

Good luck in any event, I know the first one is one you don't want to mess up with a bad choice![:-]
Old 12-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

I think Thats the picture we were looking at thatyou posted I remember choseing one from the top left If so then we chose Semi sneak I dont know why he wrote alert on the ticket call him tommorrow hopefully it's not to late if we have to change ithe did say he uses Rinehart mounts Thanks.