Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Blocker/Scent Lok...

Old 01-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent Blocker/Scent Lok...

The point is.........one way or another you are going to run into a deer that busts you, you can not fool every deer! I think your mouth odor is the number 1 thing you need to stop. Spend your money but I have taken plenty of deer in my regular old hunting clothes at 15 feet.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

There's nothing wrong with minimizing your scent signature, which is about all you can realistically do, if the wind shifts and the deer winds you it's more likely to think that you're farther away than you really are and less of a threat. As far as the gimmicky clothing, I don't buy them.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are going to try to eliminate scent you need to go at it with a 200% effort and still hunt the wind.

I do what I do not because I hunt sloppy, but because I want every advantage I can get. Anything that reduces the amount of scent you give off is an advantage, but I doubt it is possible to be scent free.

You also can't just wear Scent Blocker and fail to do a dozen other things and think it will work[8D]

I have seen my scent control regimen work enough times to know it is Not just a coincidence.

Dan
Old 01-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

My hunting group includes guys from both extreme ends of the scent regime spectrum. We all have the same success though.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't really speak for anyone else's success with/without Scent control, but I can tell you that the last few years I've really elevated my Scent Control game my sightings and shot opportunities have skyrocketed.

This year during the 3 weeks I hunted IL I sighted over a 100 deer out of my Treestand, of which 60 to 70 were bucks. I easily passed a dozen borderline Bucks and had a few deer that ended up downwind of me without blowing my cover.

I also had the Wind switch on the day I shot my Muley taking my scent straight to him as he came along.

Maybe I've just been Lucky??At any rate I won't change what I'm doing because it's working for ME

Dan

Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe my suspicions have been confirmed. If the deer is close enough to "maybe" smell your clothes/gear, he is definately close enough to smell you. You do not hunt in a rubber bubble. Maybe the products work, but they will NEVER get you "Scent-free". Hunt the wind no matter what. If it switches on you and you still get lucky, then look at it as just that, "luck". It will not happen every time I can assure you. You hunt the wrong wind on purpose, or by accident, no amount of scent control is gonna work every time.

LT
Old 01-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

I believe my suspicions have been confirmed. If the deer is close enough to "maybe" smell your clothes/gear, he is definately close enough to smell you. You do not hunt in a rubber bubble. Maybe the products work, but they will NEVER get you "Scent-free". Hunt the wind no matter what. If it switches on you and you still get lucky, then look at it as just that, "luck". It will not happen every time I can assure you. You hunt the wrong wind on purpose, or by accident, no amount of scent control is gonna work every time.

LT
So you think a Buck can tell how far away you are regardless of the strength of the scent you are allowing to escape?

Just curious!

In my area I doubt a Buck spends many days out of the year without encountering human scent. I think the strength of that scent determines how they react.

As for me I'll keep using the best scent control regimen I can, keep hunting the wind, and keep giving my Taxidermist business.

If I depended on luck onlyI doubt I would ever do much good, as I have never been lucky. It does seem the more I hunt, the more I watch my scent, the Luckier I get though

Dan
Old 01-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you think a Buck can tell how far away you are regardless of the strength of the scent you are allowing to escape?

Just curious!
I believe, to a deer, human odor is human odor which to a deer = predator. As to how strong your scent is, I think you may be able to minimize it, but you can not change what a deer believes you are.

In my area I doubt a Buck spends many days out of the year without encountering human scent. I think the strength of that scent determines how they react.
So you are saying the strength or amount of human scent a deer encounters determines how they will react to it? How can the deer determine if the little bit, or a lot of scent spells danger? By determining how far away you are?

If I depended on luck onlyI doubt I would ever do much good, as I have never been lucky. It does seem the more I hunt, the more I watch my scent, the Luckier I get though
I never said to depend on luck only. If I did that, I would probably see less deer also.I do have to say though, hunting more, and smarter, hunting the wind, and being still on stand probably all play a much greater roll in our sightings/success than using scent killer. Myself personally, I am leaning more and more towards Arm and Hammer and just plain old low impact disturbance, along with stand placement to take advantage of the wind and a good old healthy dose of luck every now and then.[8D]

Heck, it works for GregH. Gospel!!

LT

Old 01-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

LTWe'll agree to disagree. If you want to pay No attention to scent control that's your choice.

As for me I'll continue to go at it 200%, and anyone that doesn't might as well do nothing except hunt the wind. Lots of Big Bucks are killed every year without Scent Control, but that doesn't mean I'll stop either.

I definitely think a Deer can judge how far awaya human/predator is by the strength of the scent and they will then react accordingly. Maybe I'm wrong, butI just need a couple extra seconds at times, and with my Muley Buck I got the extra time to draw and shoot after the wind switched on me.

I'd sure like to Hunt where the wind never does that, or maybe that Buck just had a cold and couldn't smell. I guess I'll never know[8D]

I'll continue my way, you continue yours. You may be right, and I may be all wrong, but you won't change the way I go at scent control, and I have nodesire to change your ways.

Ever wanna hunt in IL let me know!

Dan
Old 01-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Let me start by saying Iall always hunt the wind. I believe it is the #1 most important thing to killing mature bucks.

With that being said I think we all can agree that wearing scent lok/scent blocker certainly can't hurt.

And if it can't hurt and if itonly helps 10% to control my scent that is better than nothing. You can't soley depend on scent lok/scent blocker to fool a deer's nose but I guarantee it doesn't hurt. Hunt smart and play the wind ALWAYS.

If you don't like it, fine, but I'm willing to use every advantage I can to beat a deer's nose.

As I stated at the beginning, I always hunt the wind but in Nov, during the rut, bucks don't always go by the game plan and don't always come by where you think they will. Bydoing the little extra detailwhen it comes to scent control maybe the difference in a shot opportunity or seeing a the deer's white tail as it disappears.

Quick Reply: Scent Blocker/Scent Lok...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.