Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Suburban deer

Old 11-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default First Suburban deer

I just shot my first suburban deer, a doe. I have lived here for two years but have never hunted them....I was looking outside when I noticed a pack of does(6-8) moving my way. One of them wandered out into my yard. My kids and wife noticed as well. We watched it for 3-4 minutes then the wife jumped in the shower, and the kids went down to play. I had reservations about shooting the doe but it is legal and we have tons of them everywhere.

I snuck downstairs to the garage in my jeans and socks and got my bow. I snuck between both cars and behind my two trash cans....in the background I hear a leaf blower and some car playing a loud hip hop song. I draw behind the trash cans and look up...she is looking right at me. I aim between a ladder I had left out and shoot between the rungs at 20 yards. Looked to be a great shot right behind the shoulder. Saw her bolt then bed down on my property not 30 yards after the shot. Going to wait until dark so as to not bother anyone living around me as all the leaves are off the trees and a bunch of houses have a view of mine.

Weird weird weird "hunt"...but we do have a massive overpopulation of does in the county and a ton of vehicle collisions.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Suburban deer

I know what you mean.The area I live inis over run with deer. Last tuesday morning there was a big 9 pointer standing in the middleof the road in front of my house.

Lets see some pics when you go get her, congrats, sounds like a tough shot
Old 11-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

bowmanj---I have to wait until my wife gets home as I am watching 3 kids right now. I will try to get a pic although it may be difficult as it will be dark after I recover her. I am very happy to put more meat in the freezer for the upcoming months. Next doe I shoot I will donate to Hunters for the Hungry here in Virginia.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

That had to be different Brett! Has she moved yet?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

I wish I had deer in my backyard. It would be tempting, legal or not. I have never seen any where I live now. I've been here for over a year and a half now.
Good luck.
Chris
Old 11-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw her get up once more about 20 minutes after and walk off slowly and disappear behind a laydown> I was surprised as the shot looked great and I heard a "crack" when I shot...for sure fetl a double lung...but the more I think of it she may have been slightly quartering towards. I went out real quick and checked my arrow. Bright red blood with some bubbles and a little dark matter.....I will go look in 45 minutes or so after my wife gets home.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, we are waiting.
I do a in town special Bowhunt & they are as crafty as any woodsy Deer.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

thats awesome brett! I wish i had deer running around in my back yard....

I would also like to see some pics! hope you recover her okay
Old 11-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got back from getting her. Had to get washed up. The entrance shot was perfect, however she must have spun like heck when I shot because the exit hole was far back. I hit one lung and partial gut shot/liver. Found her within 5 minutes. She had some guts plugging the exit hole so the blood trail died after I found where she bedded. I just zig zag searched by my creek and found her easily. Hung up and ready to get some meat in the freezer tomorrow.

Quick Reply: First Suburban deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.