Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My lease trying vote OUT bow hunting

Old 04-03-2003, 03:37 PM

Default RE: My lease trying vote OUT bow hunting

I belonged to a lease in Louisiana where I was the only bowhunter out of 12 members. I never let the others know how many deer I was taking with my bow (6 in 3 years) for I felt it would spoil a good thing. Sounds like the others are jealous of your opportunity to hunt more than them due to longer seasons. Tell them to join the ranks of the elite hunters (bowhunters) and spend more time in the woods.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those guys obviously don' t have what it takes to be a hunter - patience!!
Old 04-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was never an issue on my lease until I came strolling into camp with a 9 point muzzy victim. After that I had to fight tooth and nail at each meeting for a couple of years, then the whole issue just faded away. Now i leave the boxing gloves in the truck at the meetings, but don' t trust the majority of them one bit. The best defense for a lease of my size (80+ members) is to show up to the meetings.
I would fight it, but don' t get off if they ban it. Be in camp and asking where their deer is when you hear them shoot. I don' t know how many times I hear it every year " I shot him and he went down, but we couldn' t find him" - ya, he' ll live to ripe old age!!
If any deer are lost to a bow on my lease, the bowhunters know not to broadcast it- cause the news will spread like wild fire.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve seen some pretty good answers here, but Davidmil, you take the cake! You always some to give some great advice! What do you do for a living? If it has to do with talking and convincing, I' d bet you make good money.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Typically, my lease holds its camp meeting in June where we raise issues and vote on certain matters. Then, our first payment is due shortly thereafter. So, if we get voted out, we will have an opportunity to drop without losing money. However, it would be virtually impossible to find another lease in time for the upcoming season. They are not that abundant and as with most, can be somewhat political regarding who you know, etc.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tealboy, sorry to hear that latest info. Guess all you can do is get some researched evidence on behalf of archery, and wounded game. If I find any such type websites I' ll forward them to you. I' d also see what your game department might have for info. If they see your that much against dropping archery, maybe they' ll think twice. Hopefully its actually just a few of them, and others going along to save face. Just in case it doesn' t work out. You and your other 3 archers my want to look into the possibility of another lease. I don' t know what state your in, but several timber co' s in NYS offer leased lands for hunting rights. Basically pay the taxes, and they just wait for the timber to grow for profit. Or check with some farmers. Many private farmers in NY are leasing hunting rights also. Heck never know, might find something you like better, and keep it mostly archery!!!!
Old 04-10-2003, 08:11 AM

I' d start looking for a new lease and some new hunting partners. There wouldn' t be any discussions about it. If you pay to hunt you should be able to hunt with any legal method available, PERIOD. In addition, I wouldn' t want to share my campfire with a group of selfcentered a$$h@les anyway!
Old 04-12-2003, 03:04 PM

If the majority of the members want to vote out bowhunting and infact do vote it out, you will probably have to find another lease. But don' t let them get away with it without a knock down drag out. Surely the lease stipulates what hunting methods and seasons are valid. I have never heard of a deer hunting group that would want to stop bowhunting on their lease, it doesn' t make good sense.