Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ever hunt a highway median?

Old 11-26-2008, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default ever hunt a highway median?

I was curious if any of you here have ever hunted the median between the lanes on a highway or interstate. I feel like if you found a wide spot you might have a lot of deer in there, bedding in there for the day.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:57 AM

Default RE: ever hunt a highway median?

Name a state where thats legal.[&:]

In KY, we aren't even supposed to PARK on the side of highways...much less hunt between the lanes.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I drive a 200 mile stretch of PA's route 80 from Williamsport to the West nearly 50 weeks of the year. I think the same thing all the time. Is it the same as state forest? Do we really have access?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

if you do it don't call me to make your bail!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

You shoot a deer and it runs out and gets hit by a car, what do you think might happen to you if someone got hurt?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Pretty sure its illegal.

I used to hunt this place in high school where the deer would walk through this huge tunnel/culvert to get to the Storm Water Management Pond in the median cause there was a good food source. They sit next to the highway, 10 lanes wide. Always thought about it, but never would, if a deer ran out into the road, thats a disaster for sure.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know for a fact if it's legal or illegal but as long as the safety zone laws are followed,I dopn't see what law would be broken.I know one section on I80 in Clearfield county Pa that get's driven out quite a bit during rifle season.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never really thought about hunting in a medium. I have seen some big bucks in these though. I wouldnt want to risk hitting a deer and having it run out into the highway in front of someonescar/cars. I guess its legal as long as the medium isnt considered part of the public road its serving, the law says It is unlawful to: Shoot on, from or across any public road.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yikes, I can't imgaine that's legal.......
Old 11-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

It would be illegal because it is not public land. You would need to acquire permission, which they will not grant.

Quick Reply: ever hunt a highway median?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.