Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you often wonder???

Old 11-25-2008, 06:33 PM

Default Do you often wonder???

I often wonder about guys that don't hunt...I work with tons of them and I always wonder what the hell they have that makes them tick...what could possibly get their blood pumping like hunting does mine..?? I wonder if they even know what they are missing? Or do they even care to know?? I mean I work with guyswho have never even fired a gun or bow or cast a fishing rod...I just want to hear what yall think about it...I mean I have sat in my tree stand after work in the afternoons and thought to myself, what the hell is "Craig" doing right now?? Watching TV? playing with his dogs? reading a book?? While Im on my toes and got the nerves gittering and sometimes even take a life so life can go on....that's what Im talking about...
Old 11-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do you often wonder???

I hear you. I know a few like that. If I couldn't hunt, I honestly don't know what I would do. It would drive me insane. I wish everybody in America would go on at least one hunt, so that they can share the experiences we all have. There would probably be a lot less anti hunting crap too
Old 11-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a buddy who hunts one season outta every 3 or 4... i dont get it.. he will get into it hardcore one season then the next 3 could care less.. i jus dont see how he turns it on an off like that!!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wonder it all the time.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Dominant Buck

You ever wonder how....to people who don't hunt......it sounds when we tell people we take doe urine, buck tarsal glands, plastic decoys, etc.......and sit in a tree, 25' up...for hours on end....away from our families......every chance we get?

That road runs both ways.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:01 PM

I just had a similar conversation with a friend this past weekend about him hunting. He likes to fish and always talks about wanting to hunt. Loves deer meat and getting out in the woods mushroom hunting. I told him I would pay for his tag, put him in an area where I could guarantee he would take a deer. I figured gun would be easier so said I would let him hunt with my shotgun until he got one. He declined. I tried todescribe tohim the rush and feeling but it's almost indescribable withoutexperiencing it. He still declined and admitted that part of it was not being able to field dress it. He said he would rather start out with small game like rabbits and squirrels and work his way up to a deer. I explained that it was no different dressing out a deer than it was a fish or any other animal for that matter, just on a larger scale. He still wouldn't accept the offer.

I don't know what it is, I'm almost certain it is not the killing of the animal. It is just something about field dressing that has him bothered. I've thought about going on youtube or somehere and having him watch one of the how to videos to see if he could watch it or not but didn't want to deter him even further. He has helped me debone and butcher deer before so it isn't the animal that bothers him. A friend at work has a .22 for sale and think I might buy it to see if I can get him out for some small game, if he backs out on that I think I'll have my answer on the killing part.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:02 PM

yeh i know Jeff, I realize that, but Im asking if anyone knows what those guys feel?? Do you think they feel like they are missing out or just don't care, or just don't know??
Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

I have had long breaks from hunting, and at times have not even thought about it.

I shoot both a recurve and a compound. I love the compound for its speed and efficency but the recurve gives me something else that calms me and helps me focus. There is something about trying to get mind and body focussed on a perfect shot that I really love. I find the compound is a little distanced from that.

During my breaks from hunting I have had long periods of not even touching my bows despite the great feeling I get shooting them.

When I am not shooting or hunting though I have always had another pursuit that is all consuming, rowing (which is a similar effort to perfect a seemingly simple action with each stroke), motorcycle racing, or competitive kickboxing.
At the moment I am trying to balance a couple of these with hunting.

I guess for me at least there is always something that takes its place and that reminds me what it means to be alive.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:26 PM

great response dogboy.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder this all the time. Heck, my own father does not hunt at all, he works about 60 hours a week construction outside and when its the end of the day he pretty much comes home and hits the sack. He does snowmobile a little bit but thats only once or twice a year, other than that I dont know what he does to get enjoyment out of life. I know everyone enjoys their family, but I dont know how anyone can get that much enjoyment out of hanging out with my mother as much as he does![&:][8D] I know I could never stop hunting, because when im not hunting, im thinking about hunting and just that makes my day go by that much faster!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.