Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your Thoughts? Maybe No Good Answer.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Your Thoughts? Maybe No Good Answer.

LT....I also wouldn't beat myself up over leaving something at the tree base. I leave my LW bungee at the base of mine, every time. It's sprayed down periodically.....and I think it must just look like a twig to a deer. I don't give it a second thought. Flashlight? I wouldn't that, either (unless it was refelctive of light..the lens).

If he looked at the base of your tree.....there's a good chance he could make out your outline????
Old 11-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess we will just chalk this up as Bucks=2, LT=0. And back at 'em in the AM. Off on Vacation rest of this week. Looks like tomorrow and maybe Thurs, Sat evening, and Sunday maybe will finish out my hunts for the week.

LT
Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

did he spook at the sight of of my rechargeable mag light at the base of my tree, where I foolishly, halfway hid it before climbing?
I believe 100% this Is why he spooked.

Jeff, I've had deer spook from accidentally leaving my light at the bottom of my tree. I've also had bear spot an arrow that I had also previously accidentally dropped from my stand and a bear's eye sight sucks. Anything that's not the norm they will notice In a heart beat. Ever cleared brush for shooting lanes and threw It In a pile where a deer might see It? Same thing will happen being It wasn't there before (looks out of place). I've been careless and have forgotten to hide branches from trimming, It cost me a doe one year.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I think we can assign anything we can possibly imagine into "why" they spook. Can't be proven or disproven.

If you feel like a deer spooked at seeing a flashlight (and not smelling it or you.....seeing you move......smelling your entrance trail.....etc..., etc..., etc...)....then that's what you're gonna believe.

Did it? Who knows? And...you seemingly say it's happened more than once. Just for converstion's sakes, Steve.....how do you know this?
Old 11-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

how do you know this?
Spending 24 years In the woods and watching how deer react to different things.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Banned

He smelled you. Either where you walked or somehow the wind did a swirl.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

How do they react to flashlights?

I've only been at this for the better part of four seasons.....but as far as "experience" in how deer react.....I get to see a LOT more than most. 4 seasons hunting them......+/- 800 deer sightings.

I've left everything from hats, to binos, shirts......dropped NUMEROUS items from stand over the years.....and I just can't recall a single deer reacting negatively to something I left or dropped.

I think their nose is where we get busted most times (if they don't see US).

Just a differenc eof opinion. That's all.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I could be wrong also Jeff but when your wind Is totally In your favor (no thermals) and there no where close to your walk In trail there not going to smell you IMO.

Sure Isn't worth arguing about that's for damn sure. Lets agree like you said It's just a difference of opinion.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

did he spook at the sight of of my rechargeable mag light at the base of my tree, where I foolishly, halfway hid it before climbing?
I believe 100% this Is why he spooked.
I'm leaning this way myself. Deer, like humans, react to things differently from deer to deer. However, deer are experts at seeing and recognizing something foriegn in their enviornments. Some of them will stop, stare then turn around and leave. A lot like a mature buck would do!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Did you walk on the ground he sniffed?

You could have had some sent swirling or reflecting in his direction. Just enought to make him feel uncomfortable. Ive seen it happen on cold days with slight to light breezes. Your sent drops with a slight down draft.

Ive seen deer get liery in front of me before for no reason at all. I call it their spiddy sense.

Quick Reply: Your Thoughts? Maybe No Good Answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.