Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Buck down, traditional style! UPDATED page 4

Old 11-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First Buck down, traditional style!

Well, sorry it took so long to get to the story but was in the woods with the Flintlock chasing deer! Anyways good story, and one I'll never forget!

I went to a spot where hard woods are surrounded by a yellow grassy swamp. The wind was perfect, a slight breeze from NW! I just knew something was going to happen, I was fired up to be in this spot. I get to my tree at around 2:00pm, Lone Wolf was hung by 2:15 and I was set to go! I wait just a bit and let things settle down. I went in with blind calling on my mind, a bit aggressive! I call, with the can, 4 bleats, wait about 2 minutes, then grunt a few times sounding like a buck chasing. Nothing after 15 minutes. Then I hear some movement behind me, I slowly stand up turn to see what the ruckus is, damn squirrels!!!!!! I do the same sequence of calls, the can, grunt a few times. Instanly I hear something coming thru the swamp, I zone in on the ruffles of the leaves KNOWING this is a deer. BAM, I see white horns about 60 yards out or so skirting the hardwoods but heading in my direction. He gets to about 40 yards, stops, in a thick blow down. He stands there for about 5 minutes or so, looking over the woods for the doe or buck that was doing the calling. I grunt a couple more times, he looks and heads my way, stops at about 30 yards and starts rubbing on a tree heading right in front of me with a nothing inbetween us but air! He moves in closer stops at 20 yards perfectly broadside, but if I wait he will come in even closer, 15 yards, stops, looks up directly at me, no problem then comes into 10 yards, stops facing me, I wait, wait he turns broadside, I'm staring at my "spot" the entire time, he stops, I draw, release, my arrow smacks him like a Mack Truck, complete pass thru. He kicks like a mule runs for 10 yards, stops, runs another 10 yards starts coughing, then coughing up blood and falls over dead at about 25 yards!!!!!!! The Magnus Snuffer did it job and I was in heaven! I had to sit down and take it all in at what I had just done! I killed my first buck with a bow and my first deer with my Longbow! By far the coolest thing I have ever done!

I am happy as can be with this deer. I worked hard since last Jan when I first bought my Bow, tuning and practicing and finally getting the confidence to walk in the woods with it. I must admit just walking in the woods with my bow is a great feeling altogether!!!!!!

Thanks again guys, He was scrappy 1.5 year old deer with a busted tine, I'm very proud of this deer and he is going on the wall!!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Congrats again, Joe!!!!! Great job!!!

Now tell everyone about the 8 pointer bedded 20 yards away after that ....
OK, well the next afternoon I go into a different spot that I've yet to hunt this year! I get set up around 2:00pm. I was still high from the previous days events and decided to mess around a bit and do a little calling! I hit the can call a few times then a few soft grunts. Within 3 minutes on stand I have a really nice 8 point come right in to about 30 yards, stops and looks around for what was making the noise. He stood at 30 yards for about 25 minutes panting away. Must of just been chasing or breeding a doe! Since he doesn't see the Doe or the buck that was calling he starts to walk away. I grunt again and he comes right in to 20 yards, makes a scrape and then beds down in it. He is bedded there right in front of me for a half hour, he has his eyes closed and is sleeping. I was blown away by this, i've never seen a deer actually sleep! After a while he awakens and walks off into a cut corn field and checks his scrape line! This was a pretty cool experience as well I just wished I had not forgotten my camera! I knew I would see a big buck since I was tagged out! Go figure![8D]
Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

He kicks like a mule runs for 10 yards, stops, runs another 10 yards starts coughing, then coughing up blood and falls over dead at about 25 yards!!!!!!! The Magnus Snuffer did it job and I was in heaven! I had to sit down and take it all in at what I had just done! I killed my first buck with a bow and my first deer with my Longbow! By far the coolest thing I have ever done!
That had to be one of the finest moments for you bow hunting I bet Joe!!! I'm proud of ya Joe, congratulation's big guy!!!

So what do you think of these Snuffers?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Congrats again, Joe!!!!! Great job!!!

Now tell everyone about the 8 pointer bedded 20 yards away after that ....
OK, well the next afternoon I go into a different spot that I've yet to hunt this year! I get set up around 2:00pm. I was still high from the previous days events and decided to mess around a bit and do a little calling! I hit the can call a few times then a few soft grunts. Within 3 minutes on stand I have a really nice 8 point come right in to about 30 yards, stops and looks around for what was making the noise. He stood at 30 yards for about 25 minutes panting away. Must of just been chasing or breeding a doe! Since he doesn't see the Doe or the buck that was calling he starts to walk away. I grunt again and he comes right in to 20 yards, makes a scrape and then beds down in it. He is bedded there right in front of me for a half hour, he has his eyes closed and is sleeping. I was blown away by this, i've never seen a deer actually sleep! After a while he awakens and walks off into a cut corn field and checks his scrape line! This was a pretty cool experience as well I just wished I had not forgotten my camera! I knew I would see a big buck since I was tagged out! Go figure![8D]
That figures Is right!! **** happens!!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, BHF.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

BHF - Nice story and deer. Thanks for sharing.

Even if I tried, not sure I could shoot well enough to go with a long bow. Very cool accomplishment.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Well done!!! Congratulations taking one with traditional equipment. It must be very satisfying.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:39 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Great job Joe !! Congrats on your buck !!

Tim
Old 11-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

He kicks like a mule runs for 10 yards, stops, runs another 10 yards starts coughing, then coughing up blood and falls over dead at about 25 yards!!!!!!! The Magnus Snuffer did it job and I was in heaven! I had to sit down and take it all in at what I had just done! I killed my first buck with a bow and my first deer with my Longbow! By far the coolest thing I have ever done!
That had to be one of the finest moments for you bow hunting I bet Joe!!! I'm proud of ya Joe, congratulation's big guy!!!

So what do you think of these Snuffers?
Thanks Steve, you bet the best moment in my hunting career period! I tell ya, the Snuffers did a job on him. When I saw him stop, cough and then just start coughing up blood everywhere I knew the Snuffers did their job! VERY satisfied with them!
Old 11-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats man!I can't wait to get my 1st trad deer. WAY TO GO!

Quick Reply: First Buck down, traditional style! UPDATED page 4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.