Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Illinois archery kills down

Old 11-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Illinois archery kills down

I'm new to IL, having only hunted here for three years, and coming from the UP of Michigan, its like Mecca here for me. Even though i'm a releative newcomer to the state, I've felt the land access problems full force. I have yet to hunt the same piece two years in a row, having been on different ground for three straight years now.

In terms of harvests being down, hard to say what is the culprit. At least we have a check-in system, not just a free-for-all like i'm used to, since MI has NO registration of any kind. I think we may see some kind of reform in the coming years from the DNR in regards to an incentive program for farmers to host hunters, almost like a CRP program, only for people. There is no question outfitters are to blame for Western IL's problems, with doe numbers and greatly plummeting buck harvests. Just in one little area I am familiar with, Comlara Park, it is nothing to go and see 100 deer in one field, and access is limited to a very restrictive draw, doe only, and you get 1 week to hunt it. So, continue to bitch about the deer numbers DNR, but then allow it too keep perpetuating itself too. With so many parks closing, there will be areas with deer thicker than ticks on a bears ass.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Typical Buck

i own land in south central illinois and the last 2 seasons have been bad. there are just no deer around. i don't see any while hunting, don't see any along the roads or in fields, my neighbors say the same thing. an yet our stupid dnr wants to increase the deer harvest.....are you kidding me????? too many deer/car collisoins. i think we need to increase our people harvest, starting with the top, gov. rod, sen. obama....
Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Illinois check system leaves something to be desired. The questions they ask over the phone is somewhat confusing. Illinois is not getting accurate harvest information. Plus people can record whatever they want over the phone. It is truly the honesty system at it's best. And the person that is on the phone ius having to measure at the same time, accurate measurements is almost impossible.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

I wish the number of hunters was down, but with this new brilliant[8D] check-in system a LOT of deer wont ever be counted. Did I mention that A LOT of deer wont be checked in?[8D]
You may be correct on this, but after a few seasons I believe its working almost as well. At least those who use a processor must check them in. Those who process their own and don't check deer in, probably never did before the telecheck.

I agree with land access being the top villain. I notice that in my area at least, landowners are not nearly as receptive to bowhunting as in the past or having anybody on their land. Times sure have changed a lot in the past 10 years.
The problem is, how many small bucks are being checked in as does? Think about, all you have do is get the deer home and caped out, once that is done you can call it in as whatever you want and take to the processor. It is happening and will be one of the biggest reasons for Illinois' downfall.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

We saw far fewer deer this year during the shotgun season. I heard less than 15 shots opening morning, when I would normally hear upwards of 40. I saw no deer opening morning, 2 Friday evening (dad killed one of them), 1 Sat (son killed it) and none Sunday. I think the bowkill numbers are actually WAY up in my area, but the number being reported are down.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

The problem is, how many small bucks are being checked in as does? Think about, all you have do is get the deer home and caped out, once that is done you can call it in as whatever you want and take to the processor. It is happening and will be one of the biggest reasons for Illinois' downfall.
Very good point! It would be interesting to know how many bucks are turned in by phone checked in as a doe. Calling in or via the internet sucks. I also used to enjoy visiting the check stations just to see whats been harvested.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Very good point! It would be interesting to know how many bucks are turned in by phone checked in as a doe. Calling in or via the internet sucks. I also used to enjoy visiting the check stations just to see whats been harvested.
Correct, but how many small bucks were not getting checked in at all with the old system? I agree the phone system was not the answer and probably has made the 2 buck limitobsolete. I doubt we ever get to see the funding back to allow check stations again.

Coug, it too liked to hang out at the check stations. I also liked to watch the people who worked at the check station tell the guys who pull up with 160" bucks that the deer was only 2 1/2 years old. It sure was entertaining.