Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Persistance Pays Off...

Old 11-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Persistance Pays Off...

So the day started at 4:45 in the morning and things couldnt of seemed any better. Great wind for the stand location I was going to hunt and there was snow on the ground. Make for a beautiful morning. Well who knew what I had ahead of me...I get to the land I hunt on at about 5:00. As I start to unpack all my gear out of the truck and get ready for a great morning hunt I realize I am missing one very important little piece of paper...my hunting license... I couldnt believe it, out of all the things to leave at home. So i rush home, luckily its only about ten minutes away, and grab that illusive hunting license. I get back to the woods and at this point Im thinking, ok...im back, im ready to go lets just put that behind me. I get into my stand and everything seems to be going according to plan after that little mishap. Well the wind shifted on me and was blowing right out into the field that the deer were feeding in. About an hour into the hunt I go to pull my grunt call out of my pocket and then the worst thing a bowhunter could ever do happens...As i stand up I bump something and my gut sinks. I turn around just in time to see my BOW tumbling towards the ground. It hit with a loud thud and I just sat there for a second thinking how stupid could I be. Well i climb down to assess the damage. Luckily my bow landed completely flat and the only piece of damage was one of the fiber optics on my sight. I was furious and decided...ok my hunt is over. Time to get some breakfast and rant about my terrible morning.

Some how I convinced myself, hey just get back out their this evening and give it another shot. I mean this day cant get much worse. So I get ready for the afternoon hunt and try a new stand location that I have noticed a few trails near. This time everything is going right and as i settle into my stand I even have a doe coming running by. So Im thinking ok my bad luck has finally run out. After about a half hour deer start moving EVERYWHERE. Up until dark there is constant movement. Mostly, does running from those bucks that arent exactly thinking with their brains right now. About a half hour before dark I see the deer I have been after. After two does coming flying by at 100mph I see a beautiful ten point with real long tines. He was about 100 yards off but Im thinking hey, this is making for a good evening. Right before dark a little 5pt. came right into where i had sent up my Scent Bombs with good ol' tinks #69. After him I had a few other does come right under my tree moving out to the fields. Now i know your thinking, damn i thought he was gonna say the story ended with shooting some big buck. Well, no...but in my opinion, with the way the day started..i would say that was a HELL of an ending. I can still feel that disgusting feeling as i watched my bow flip towards the earth.....