Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is poaching ever justifiable?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: is poaching ever justifiable?

So, these people that need to poach deer to feed their family, do they also steal the bread, vegetables, fruit, milkand all of the other kinds of foods to feed their family? Why not "poach" cattle? You would get more meat for your crime. Or how about "poaching" pigs or chickens? That's all OK because they need to "feed their family" right? This BS about needing to poach to feed one's family is just that, BS.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

So, these people that need to poach deer to feed their family, do they also steal the bread, vegetables, fruit, milkand all of the other kinds of foods to feed their family? Why not "poach" cattle? You would get more meat for your crime. Or how about "poaching" pigs or chickens? That's all OK because they need to "feed their family" right? This BS about needing to poach to feed one's family is just that, BS.
i am in 100% agreement with you. already took this arguement up in AFhunters post the poacher who took a deer in bow season with a shotgun and got caught.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

there actually is a difference tho. the cow, chicken, pig etc etc belong to an individual. the deer belong to the public. meaning everyresidentin the U.S. it could be argued that the cow chicken etc would be stealing, whereas the deer would be taking your share
Old 11-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I am ever lost in the middle of nowhere with just my bow or rifle, I guarantee you I will shoot something for food. Season or limit wouldnt matter. So, to answer your question, would poaching ever be justifiable in my eyes, YES. [8D]

Is a scenario like that likely, no. But it could happen
Old 11-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: okcaveman

there actually is a difference tho. the cow, chicken, pig etc etc belong to an individual. the deer belong to the public. meaning everyresidentin the U.S. it could be argued that the cow chicken etc would be stealing, whereas the deer would be taking your share
LOL No, the deer belong to the state as a regulated resource. If that weren't the case then we could all go and drill oil on state land to "get our share" .

If someone needs to break the law to feed their family then why does it matter what law they break and whether they steal from an individual or the state?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drhntr178

If I am ever lost in the middle of nowhere with just my bow or rifle, I guarantee you I will shoot something for food. Season or limit wouldnt matter. So, to answer your question, would poaching ever be justifiable in my eyes, YES. [8D]

There's a slight difference between survival and poaching for tonights dinner .
Old 11-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where exactly does one draw the line? Should one be starving, ravenous, or just have the munchies to be able to poach a deer?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Spike

NO
Old 11-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: drhntr178

There's a slight difference between survival and poaching for tonights dinner .
Yes, there is a difference, but his question was "would poaching ever be justifiable?" I answered yes and gave a scenario.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If we are talking true philosophy were one justifiable scenario can cause one to answer "yes" to the above question on wether poaching is ever justifiable, then YES>.

If we are talking with our normal brain and 99.9% of the other examples of poaching, then NO>.

So my answer is Yes, because the question was stated in a way that is asking for an absolute answer even if poaching is justifiable for survival for example.

Quick Reply: is poaching ever justifiable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.