Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How High?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How High?

All of my stand locations I have set up, I have no set height in mind when going in. I usually try to find a group or 2 or more trees together, and then put my stand at the height where it allows me to use all the trees as cover, and to hang my gear within reach. If there is no groups of trees, I try and place my stand directly above a good sized branch, just to break up my outline, when looking up to my stand.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:39 PM

My favorite stand is at about 18-20'...but deer can come from any direction and the wind has a habit of swirling in the bottoms I hunt.

My pine tree set-up is only about 8-10' but its almost impossible to see into the fields any higher...you have to play the wind just right on that one. The pines are set 25 yards in from the fields with 3 shooting lanes out.

My early season stand is at 30' in the only halfway sizable tree in a great clearing...taken a dozen good deer from that stand alone over the years. I agree the angle is steep and you got to wait for 30+ yard shots to lace both bagpipes at that height....plus it keeps other hunters out of it...lol

All of the others I have around I do believe are at anywhere from 15-18'...all ladder stands that are easy to get into for morning sits and out of for " spot and stalk days ".

I guess it all comes down to what the wind does...hence the multiple stands at different heights, what the terrain is like and where you feel comfortable. If you're scared to death of falling or the height bothers you, you ain't going to have fun and then whats the point. Just my .02
Old 11-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Banned

10-12 feet but I shoot a recurve too

its not how high you get, its how well you choose your tree