Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Seriously, who has gotten lost, and how bad?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Seriously, who has gotten lost, and how bad?

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

Got lost once squirrel hunting 18yrs ago when I was 15. Before we headed out, it was made clear that if anyone should get lost, 3 shots fired in a row would be the I'm lost signal. 3 shots would then be returned by anyone at the trucks. Well, it was very hilly so the sound waves would bounce off the hills and make it seem like the sound was coming from an opposite direction of where it actually was.I was following those echoed shots for 2hrs til I finally smartened up and climbed to the top of the tallest hill(almost mountain) to listen.
Hue, you a funny dude!!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

Got lost once squirrel hunting 18yrs ago when I was 15. Before we headed out, it was made clear that if anyone should get lost, 3 shots fired in a row would be the I'm lost signal. 3 shots would then be returned by anyone at the trucks. Well, it was very hilly so the sound waves would bounce off the hills and make it seem like the sound was coming from an opposite direction of where it actually was.I was following those echoed shots for 2hrs til I finally smartened up and climbed to the top of the tallest hill(almost mountain) to listen.
Hue, you a funny man dude!!
Woah woah woah woah did you just do a man dude??????
Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Huh??
Old 11-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Spike

I grew up hunting in Ohio, when I moved to Oregon and started hunting in real mountains, I got turned around all the time. Luckily I had a good hunting partner who grew up here and he was a huge help in showing me how to navigate through BIG country. After several years now I am finally comfortable hading out into any terrain at any time(with a compass and my GPS.)
Old 11-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

you said "Hue, you a funny man dude!!" Did you just do a man dude?? lol

Ryan. (man dude sounds weird.)
Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

you said "Hue, you a funny man dude!!" Did you just do a man dude?? lol

Ryan. (man dude sounds weird.)
I fixed It for ya Ryan.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Banned

I have got turned around a half a dozen times in my years of bowhunting..but always found my way out..but walked way too much...glad to hear you have loved ones lookin for ya. Were the police and trackers nice to you or short tempered? Do you owe them money? Who pays for the service?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I have got turned around a half a dozen times in my years of bowhunting..but always found my way out..but walked way too much...glad to hear you have loved ones lookin for ya. Were the police and trackers nice to you or short tempered? Do you owe them money? Who pays for the service?
Like I said, after the officials seen my stands all over, they were impressed and the lead deputy has plans on hunting with me sometime this week or weekend. They claimed it was part of their training and I actually gave them a real life scenario which they used their resource....muchs like a live training... They said thanks for the training and were very cordial to me.

I made it a point to shake everyone of the working officers hand and thank them. They were super understanding and excited that they were able to putthe resources together. NO Bill
Old 11-21-2008, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never had to spend the night in the woods unless i was camping but I tell you whats just as scary is getting so turned around in the woods from tracking a deer on your own property that you have hunted for so many years, everything changes in the dark and fog.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I carry a small compass on my local hunts. I climbed down from the stand one night and tried to leave the area stealthily because several deer were nearby. I started up through a series of blowndown trees - climbing and crawling to make headway. After about a 1/4 mile, I realized I should have emerged into the clearcut but hadn't. I pulled out the compass and shot an 'escape heading' of due South emerging into the large clearcut immediately after a few hundred paces.Being 'misoriented' is an awful feeling. They key (for me) is to have an escape heading that will lead to an un-missable barrier like a road, large fieldor river.

Never, evertrust your gut more than the compass.

Getting un-lost is a more important skill for western hunters and I am surprised we haven't heard more from them.

Quick Reply: Seriously, who has gotten lost, and how bad?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.