Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Seriously, who has gotten lost, and how bad?

Old 11-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Seriously, who has gotten lost, and how bad?

The other day i walked 20 yards past my blind i noticed it because turned around and right behind where y blind was is a tree with four trunks running in four differnt directions.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 PM

What a story. Dang, that would suck. You probably did the right thing instead of keep walking in the wrong direction and get more lost. Good thing you were able to start a fire. It's easy to get turned around in unfamiliar places.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

The woods sure does get more scary when you are "stuck" out there. I have spent the good part of 6 hours in a dark wet swamp about 3 miles back tracking a deer. I was with my cousin though so i wasnt completely alone. WE finally found our way out when we got cell service and my uncle came and honked his horn so we got a genereal direction,
Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Simp

If I were you I'd start working overtime because you might just be getting a bill in the mail!
Actually I asked if I was getting a bill and they replied that this was their job and I had just given them 12 hours of training. The Deputy that found me is hunting this Saturday with me
Old 11-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

How 'bout this'n: Myself and 2 other friends were huntingoutside of Augusta, Ga. and it was decided before we hunted this particular evening that we would come back to the same spot the next morning. Well, I found a nice tree that was in a good enough spot and decided to leave my climber at the base of the tree so I wouldn't have to set it up the following morning. Well, to make a long story short, I lost my bearing coming out of the woods and wound up 1/2 mile from the truck.I never did find that climber! No way someone came in and stole it during the night. I just thought I knew where it was!

We went back the following morning and looked for 2 hours and zip!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will tell you this one thing that makes me worry is when i am ground hunting and i hear something behind me. i do not want to move much in case it is a deer. But if it is one of the local wild dogs i want my gun pointed in that way.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

buy a hand held gps and record the gps loc. where you leave a stand.
ORIGINAL: Simp

How 'bout this'n: Myself and 2 other friends were huntingoutside of Augusta, Ga. and it was decided before we hunted this particular evening that we would come back to the same spot the next morning. Well, I found a nice tree that was in a good enough spot and decided to leave my climber at the base of the tree so I wouldn't have to set it up the following morning. Well, to make a long story short, I lost my bearing coming out of the woods and wound up 1/2 mile from the truck.I never did find that climber! No way someone came in and stole it during the night. I just thought I knew where it was!

We went back the following morning and looked for 2 hours and zip!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I remember you posting a thread on this the day you got back, glad you made It back Jeff. I've been lost twice out In the mountains of Montana. On this particular elk hunt I went by myself- 17 hours from my house, 7 miles packed In up the mountains, no cell phones or communication devises, nothing but me and my recurve and my so called trusty compass and a map. Both times It took me 6 hours to find my way back to camp. I was pretty damn nervous to say the least. What ended up being the problem was a bad compass. I tossed that SOB about a month later when I figured out It wasn't always working. I now carry 2 of them when I'm hunting In an unfamiliar area. Would I go by myself again, yep!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got lost once squirrel hunting 18yrs ago when I was 15. Before we headed out, it was made clear that if anyone should get lost, 3 shots fired in a row would be the I'm lost signal. 3 shots would then be returned by anyone at the trucks. Well, it was very hilly so the sound waves would bounce off the hills and make it seem like the sound was coming from an opposite direction of where it actually was.I was following those echoed shots for 2hrs til I finally smartened up and climbed to the top of the tallest hill(almost mountain) to listen.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last rifle season, I was walking around through the woods where I hunt, and I realize it was starting to get dark, so i said OK well I'll take the short cut back to the truck... Well it got dark.... And I was still walking...... Uhh So, I got on my radio and said hey I cant be too far from you guys.... Shoot a shot and lemme see what direction it is, Well they shot and got back on the radio and said "did you hear it" "all i said was im ....ed" Well I walked for 6 hours. yeah. And finally came out about 25 miles from where I thought i was in a town and I called from there for my ride. IT could have been a lot worse, I was just getting ready to sit down and make a fire when I heard the noise from the road. Talk about a scary feeling. Luckly i replaced the batteries in the flashlight the night before and diddnt have to use it on an account of a late start. Just one lucky day for me.

Ryan.

Quick Reply: Seriously, who has gotten lost, and how bad?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.