Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

That "feeling" almost got me a big one this morning..:(

Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default That "feeling" almost got me a big one this morning..:(

It was 4:45am and I was driving to the spot I intended to hunt. I had a little "feeling" in my head that told me to not go there and to hunt another spot that I had not hunted all year. I kept telling myself to "stick with the plan" but the feeling was so overwhelming I broke from the plan and headed in to a place I call the "bedroom". Well I went in and set-up way before shooting light.

At around 9am the winds started picking up to 20mph+ with 28 degree temps making it pretty cold. About 9:20 I get up and reached for my pack to get a drink of water and think and I am not kidding you, "you just never know" in regards to the full throttle winds and the place I was sitting. I had never seen a buck in that area for 3 years even though I knew they were in there. No longer does that thought stop in my head then I look to my left and see one of the big woods monsters I have been hunting for 3 years, coming in at 30-35 yards through some security cover and upwind. All I have ever seen of the big woods bucks are the massive rubs up and around a thicket/saddle that they leave every year. Well he showed himself today. He was a big old 8-9 pointer with a dark rack and his bodyweight was around 170-180 lbs on the hoof (big big deer where I hunt).

So I spin around and get my bow and get ready. He is scent checking the downwind side of the thicket but I have no shot. I keep telling myself I can make anything within 30 yards as I am hitting good with my bow. I will make the shot if I get it on my first mature buck. He starts coming in my way with his nose on the ground scent checking. Then he walks off downhill, nose in the wind into the saddle. I grunt to him at 50 yards, then use a can call but no response at all. 10 minutes later I see two doe walking 70 yards upwind of me. He must have been on their trail.

Mature Bucks 2-----Shadow 0 this year. In fact Shadow 0 all time..hahaha!

I readjusted my stand for tomorrow morning and will give it a go. It is snowing now and I hope to have red covering the forest floor tomorrow morning!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: That "feeling" almost got me a big one this morning..:(

Good job shadow...keep plugging, third times a charm (hopefully)!

Mike
Old 11-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck buddy!!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I am like a stubborn mule, all I know how to do is keep going at it. I had to take off hunting Monday because my daughter was sick. This morning just felt special...maybe because it was so cold that it actually felt like hunting. Man it was awesome to see that buck appear out of nowhere. I am learning that 10 yards here and there in the pursuit of big bucks makes all the difference in the world. I was 40 yards downwind of that thicket. I moved my stand to be downwind at an angle tomorrow, but only 25 yards off that same bedding area. Round 2.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, that sounds like an awesome hunt. You got'em Shadow, I know it.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks gri22ly---I am still going to go after that one buck you helped me get onto this year, deep in on the lake. The only problem is that particular area on the military base is closed all the time. The only good thing is if the area remains closed through this weekend, then that would help him live through the gun season during the rut which would up my odds of possibly seeing him late in the season. Man I could almost taste the kill this morning. I was ready to go and wasn't nervous at all.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keep at it man!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

sometimes that "feeling" will be the one to score you the booner.

Ryan.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a fun hunt even though you didnt connect. Good Luck tomarrow, with the snow on the ground the hero picture will be that much better.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck tmrw....I'm hoping to see some pictures by lunch time!

and its gonna be COLD in the AM....My offer still stands if you need help draggin Brett!

Quick Reply: That "feeling" almost got me a big one this morning..:(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.