Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Season Officially Over For Me, For Now...

Old 11-18-2008, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bow Season Officially Over For Me, For Now...

Well my bow season officially came to an end sunday for me for the time being. I saw some great deer over the weekend and almost had a great 8 pointer but something spooked him. Then on Sunday I had another encounter with the one I got on trail cam earlier this year. All he had to do was step out onto the access road and he would have been in my freezer, he must have seen me or heard me fumbling for my release. All in all the season sucked for me big time. Lost a few deer, and got one. . All deer sightings seemed to have come to a halt for almost an entire month, untill this past weekend, they are starting to crawl out of their holes that they dug. On my way out of the woods Sunday night I counted 14+ deer in the field. This is the first time Ive seen this many deer in the field since the opening weekend. So im playing it safe. With gun season coming up this weekend, Ive decided to stay out of the woods to see if this will help. It seemed to have helped last week when I hunted 2 nights. The only time Ill be going in and out of the woods this week is to put out some corn by a couple stands that are fairly hot right now. This is the one Id like to get on opening day, but I have a delima. If I sit in the stand area that this buck is claiming as his area, then it would mean more deer possible a bigger buck that that we have been wanting to get for over 5 years may slip through or cross the river on us. (Ill get pics of the scrapes from this bruiser today when I take out some corn.) But if i sit on the river in my Pod stand, then the 8 pointer may slip through as well. Im not sure what his travel route is and I dont want to go tromping through the woods to find it. But if Im thinking right if he does slip through, my brother may be offered a shot at his first real wall hanger. And Id love to see him get one. So what are your thoughts, what do you think I should do? The river, which is the main escape route, or my big stand?