Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where to place estrus scent?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Where to place estrus scent?

OK....so I'm playing the wind. See any contradictions brewing?

So...if you were so inclined to use estrous scent....and the timing was right....

What's your setup?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Where to place estrous scent?

I dont have an answer for you, but I have always wondered about this as well. If I am sitting facing the wind, and I put out 3 scent bombs in a radius in front of me, the wind is blowing the scent behind me.Just dont make much sense to me.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Where to place estrus scent?

Well I really don't believe in stinking the woods up, but if I were going to use it I'd put it out 25 yards or so on each side of me to catch deer that may come in down wind. Hopefully before they got to your scent cone they'd smell the stuff(if it works) and go to it, there in... never catching your scent. I might also throw another canister or something directly down wind as sort of a cover scent.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Site Buck Guru

I usually put it on the far side of the trail right where I want to take the shot. That way the buck will be looking away from me when I'm taking the shot. Basically, I'm using the scent as a distractant rather than an attractant.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm not going to use it tomorrow.....but I thought it maight be something to think about in winds. Never know what might catch that scent.....and it could reach out there and touch a good ways.

I might look into it for the next few days....but I haven' tpulled the trigger on any products.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use it but not all the time. Normaly i set it up just upwind of where i want to take a shot. Sometime i set it right by me. Heck sometime i hang i from my stand.
Last year though not thise year i had a drag behind me. Both deer that i shot at came to where it was stopped smelled it and head up the trail i came down. Odd this was they walked right by the scent bombs i head estrus in. I think they where alittle upwind of it.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

its the rut. deer can and will go anywhere and do odd things...

youve NEVER seen a deer approach any of your stands from the downwind side? ever? (real question..just curious)

i know im not that great...deer still come by me from the downwind side...i try to avoid it and plan around it...but it happens.

also, scent drags can be the golden ticket. i am about 90% sure i had a buck full out run down my scent drag last tuesday. he stopped 10yds away and all i could see was body...it was still dark.

the kicker is, you gotta be about as scent free as possible. rubber boots and all...

i actually drag my drag out beside me and dont put it down till ive walked a fair distance through the woods and fields hoping that any scent on my boots/legs brushes off elsewhere...

i am still experimenting with the whole scent deal...i know one thing for sure, the fresh REAL doe estrus i got from a local deer farm smells 1000% different than store bought stuff...and ive seen more results with it...

i havent played with either much, but im alot more confident in the stuff from a local farm...its frozen, the doe is swabbed and the whole 9yds...

if the wind is in my face, i hang my drag 20yds left and a wick 20yds right...that way, if they do come straight into the scent, my scent isnt right in that direct path...sure it may be, but thats just what i do...

also, dont absolutely soak the stuff in it...a few drops or a couple sprays is enough on a wick...remember how powerful a deers nose is...a ton of the stuff is likely going to overpower the area and blow the deer out...

also, i believe in not leaving the stuff in the area...and only using it 1 or 2 times in the same area per year...leaving it in the area would be like leaving a hen decoy in the field and a tape playing a hen call...sooner or later they will know that its fake....sooner or later, the bucks will associate that particular scent with NOTHING. if im not there to kill them, i dont want them smelling it...

like i said, im still playing with the stuff, and not sure if its something worthwhile...i sit there wondering if the scent is spooking anything...i KNOW does seem to hate the stuff...they usually dont hang around long when they get a wiff of it or cross my trail...dont know why. just like blind calling...i sit there wondering if the calling spooked anything that i may have otherwise seen...

like calling, scents arent 100%...gotta find the right deer thats interested in it...