Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bubbles in blood........

Old 11-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default bubbles in blood........

Ishot a great buck this morning at 7:30am. He was directly downwind of me before I had an open shot. He was quatrering to me when I shotI know I know wrong move on my part. He was getting ready to bolt so I took the shot.I hithim directly inthe shoulder but not really high or low.My arrow went in about 6 inches and came out after 30 yards of him running. He ran about 50 yards and stopped behind some brush so allI could see was his rack. I picked up the binos and by that time he was gone up the hill. I waited until 1:00pm to start the tracking and found blood WITH BUBBLES (nota lotbut definitely some bubbles). So I was thinking I got one lung. We trailed him for about 100-150 total yards and the blood trail seemed to get down to just drops. We grid searched until dark and no buck yet. Going back out tomorrow (I have all day to look).

Any other experiences or suggestions for me. I have shot a few other bucksdirectly in the shoulder with only 6 inches penetration and found them within 80yds.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: bubbles in blood........

Might be a 1 lunger and IF that's the case he could of went much farther then that which I'm sure you already know anyway.

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

searched again today for him and nothing.......what would have caused the bubbles in some of the blood if I did not catch one lung? Some of the blood was also bright red, which would mean heart....

Any thoughts? I am about sick over this....he is a mainframe 10 with a 3 or 4 inch drop tine. based on the trail cam pic of him i would say easily a 160 class
Old 11-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Site Buck Guru

I had a hit just like that, in the shoulder blade. It is possible for the blood to come out of the wound and cover the arrow to make it look like more penetration than what you really had. There were a few tiny bubbles in my blood trail also. Maybe caused by mixing with water on the leaves?? After 80 yards of profuse bleeding the trail completely stopped. The deer lived. These are called muscle hits.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I had a hit just like that, in the shoulder blade. It is possible for the blood to come out of the wound and cover the arrow to make it look like more penetration than what you really had. There were a few tiny bubbles in my blood trail also. Maybe caused by mixing with water on the leaves?? After 80 yards of profuse bleeding the trail completely stopped. The deer lived. These are called muscle hits.
I am hoping thats what happened. The only bad thing is that if he does live his opposite side antler will probably be messed up from next year on[&:]
Old 11-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 125py

I am hoping that's what happened. The only bad thing is that if he does live his opposite side antler will probably be messed up from next year on[&:]
Not always. If he's not hurt just to bad It won't change being It takes a pretty serious injury to do that. I hope he's around yet this year or the next so you can make amends with this buck. Good luck!!
Old 11-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Spike

What do you expect when you take a quartering to shot? Maybe, you should wait until you actually have a shot next time.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:49 PM

What poundage are you shooting, the arrow and broadhead. I'm asking because I shot a buck the other day hitting the shoulder on both side and still passed through. On butchering the buck I found that it cut a v in edge of the shoulder blade ( paddle bone ) going in and went right trough the center of it on exit. The arrow still passed through and stuck in the ground. What I didn't like the deer covered about 450 to 500 yards before going downbut,a blind mancould of followthe blood on the ground. I'm shooting 70 lbs , 400 Axis arrow at 419 gr, and a 100 gr. G5 Montec broadhead. It passed through like I shot a cardboard box.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I am hoping that's what happened. The only bad thing is that if he does live his opposite side antler will probably be messed up from next year on[&:]
Not always. If he's not hurt just to bad It won't change being It takes a pretty serious injury to do that. I hope he's around yet this year or the next so you can make amends with this buck. Good luck!!
Hold up... so if a deer sustains an non-lethal injury such as this it will effect his antler growth in the future on just one side?

I've never heard of that. Not arguing, totally curious. Could that perhaps be the reason I had a big mature buck with 5 points on a gorgeous antler on one side and a 10" cow horn spike on the other?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Hold up... so if a deer sustains an non-lethal injury such as this it will effect his antler growth in the future on just one side?

I've never heard of that. Not arguing, totally curious. Could that perhaps be the reason I had a big mature buck with 5 points on a gorgeous antler on one side and a 10" cow horn spike on the other?
I believe the injury has to be pretty serious for the buck to grow different on the opposite side. From what I've gathered a shot like this probably won't change anything. A shot resulting In more severe damage and stress will do just that.

Quick Reply: bubbles in blood........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.