Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bubbles in blood........

Old 11-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: bubbles in blood........

I hit a buck last thursday and the situation is EXACTLY the same as you just described. My searches didn't turn up andything and I am praying that he shows up again on my trail camera.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Dominant Buck

It's more than likely the arrow slid along the ribs between the shoulder and the chest wall, maybe hanging up in the sternum alittle. If you get an arrow between the shoulder and the chest wall the action of the shouder in running tends to generate some bubbles, not a lot, but a few. It's also possible you just knicked a lung and it quit bleeding. Deer are tough if you put it in the wrong place. I've just seen too many, "He was angled towards me" post to ever consider the shot unless it's point blank slam dunk and the damn thing is asleep. My new bowhunter/student did a shot like that last week. I had told him, he took the course, I reinforced on the range... and he still thought he was better than that. His first words to me, " I know... I screwed up... you told me... I learned a valuable lesson". I bet he won't do it again,
Old 11-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: 125py

ORIGINAL: GregH

I had a hit just like that, in the shoulder blade. It is possible for the blood to come out of the wound and cover the arrow to make it look like more penetration than what you really had. There were a few tiny bubbles in my blood trail also. Maybe caused by mixing with water on the leaves?? After 80 yards of profuse bleeding the trail completely stopped. The deer lived. These are called muscle hits.
I am hoping that's what happened. The only bad thing is that if he does live his opposite side antler will probably be messed up from next year on[&:]
Not always. If he's not hurt just to bad It won't change being It takes a pretty serious injury to do that. I hope he's around yet this year or the next so you can make amends with this buck. Good luck!!
Hold up... so if a deer sustains an non-lethal injury such as this it will effect his antler growth in the future on just one side?

I've never heard of that. Not arguing, totally curious. Could that perhaps be the reason I had a big mature buck with 5 points on a gorgeous antler on one side and a 10" cow horn spike on the other?
yes
Old 11-17-2008, 08:09 PM

You had to hit some lung.