Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting for '09

Old 11-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Scouting for '09

I know it's still early...but I've been scouting for '09 for a few weeks, now.

I know where I'll be the day after the closer, here.....and it's in my woods. I can see things now (after leaf drop) I never noticed. What a treat to glass from a high vantage point and note where deer travel.

I have a man-made breakline in the form of a parks boundary that I can't cross. In the past...I haven't paid much attention to the parts I can't hunt. That'll change, this year.

Dec. 18th....I'll be walking the woods. I saw some really interesting things, tonight....and never touched the bow when I had deer in range.

This is another reason to wear binos afield (IMO). I spent as much time glassing tonight as I did looking with my bare eyes.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:11 PM

Default RE: Scouting for '09

Ok Im biting the hook, tell me more Jeff...what have you uncovered???
Old 11-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Double header, lets hear it Jeff!
Old 11-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

No huge revelations....but I now know where they'r eneteirng and exiting the bedding areas. I also figured out that....after leaf drop....they prefer to use the pines for cover as they travel (guess the woods leave them feeling 'exposed' after leaf drop).

The breakline formed by the pines/hardwoods junction isn't visible before leaf drop (although it is on the aerial). This would be a good spot to set up.....IF I COULD....lol. I'm 100yds from there right now....and that's as close as I can get.

I would also expect this to be a good spot (20yds off this breakline) for a buck to travel on the downwind side for the rut. I can't get on him, there....but if he kept a straight line from that doe bedding area to the next....I COULD get on him in a certain finger of woods.

Just interesting stuff I was noticing....even after hunting this spot for going on 4 seasons.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have often made the statement that shed hunters are more likely to be better deer hunters.. as they tend to "see" more. Becoming almost intimate with the deer and their home, their preferred foods, and travel routes.

You're onto something Jeff. And you'll likely gain great amounts of knowledge before the 09' deer season even begins.

Word.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is amazing how the woods look after leaf drop. You can really get a good look at the lay of the land like no other time of year. Itreally is THE time to do scouting for the following season.Jeff, good luck with your new piece of property.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

JeffI would listen to Mike he has great insight on the scouting end of hunting.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

It never ceases to amaze me how "small" particular timber can feel once the leaves are down and how much more confidence you can gain by having much larger viewing capabilities. Add a fresh blanket of snow and you have some of the best hunting conditions around.