Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do you think it is my form?

Old 04-02-2003, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: do you think it is my form?

" COREY" .... target panic can afflict anyone. I had shot tournaments and bowhunted for 29 years before it got me. When it started to happen I kissed it off as nothing much... afterall.. I' d been doing this for decades. Well, when it finally got to the point I couldn' t pull a bow back without coming unglued and had no idea what was going to happen I seeked help. I was shooting on the move. I couldn' t get a pin near a target before it went off. I sometimes could not make the pin go to the target. I was an absolute basket case but still would hit the mark sometimes. Don' t ask me how. My mentor told me of several top ranked pros and pro staff shooters he has seen get hit by it. He stated in some it was so bad they honestly considered giving up archery all together. He' s seen it take months for them to get it back. So I guess what I' m saying is you may very well beable to stack arrows. I don' t believe I was using back tension really either before... but could still shoot well enough to be competitive at tournaments in my younger years. Of course I shot fingers then so it' s a little different, but still similar enough to still beable to shoot well while not using proper form.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:45 PM

well i guess i am just a LOSER but i can not get that back tension thing to work. i got close closed my eyes--- tried to make my elbow touch the button behind it, squeeze my shoulder blades together-- and all the rest. maybe i just don' t understand how to properly do it. when i squeezed my shoulders i really couldn' t even tell a difference. yall gave great directions but i just could not put them to use. sorry fellas but i promise that i will keep trying[:' (]
Old 04-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Your draw length is probably TOO LONG. If it is there is NO WAY you' re going to beable to anchor and get it to work. Can you shorten your release a little? I know mine has about three length adjustments in it. If you do that and still cant get it to go off... try a different anchor back further just to see if you can make it work. When you shoot are your shoulders level or do you find yourself pushing your bow shoulder up towards your chin? Is your bow arm slightly bent or is it straight and locked? All these things indicate an improper fit. There is no way to be consistant over the long haul with these problems.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah its hard to say without watching/seeing what you are doing........
Try to picture this:
Your arm right to your hooked over index finger is one solid unit attached to your shoulders and back........you apply pressure against the trigger with your finger. (this is why a hair trigger release really isn' t good for BT)
Enough pressure to " Take up the slack" as Dave said.........then pull THRU the shot with your whole arm/shoulder using your back muscles as the trigger.
If you aren' t getting your arm/hand/finger moving backwards as you pull with your back then you are probably too stretched out in your draw length.
If you can' t get the trigger going backwards you are obviously in for a long night!
No you ARE NOT A LOSER!........its a tough concept to pick up at first when you are coming from a " Shotgun" shooting mentality of " Grip it and Rip it" .

Also I forgot to mention earlier DON' T GRIP THE RELEASE!!! let your hand fall naturally around the release.......if you grip the release the only thing that will go backwards is your HAND and not your finger....hence the shot never seems to come.

Keep at it!
Old 04-03-2003, 05:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I knew someone could say it better than me. That looseness of the release hand assures you you' re not gripping. I knew how it felt but never realized I don' t grip the release anymore. I let the strap pull it back. My hand is just a guide.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:01 PM

hey fellas i think i finally figured out my problem. i don' t know whatcha call it but i can tell ya how i fixed it. i was just out shootin around today tryin different stuff to see if i could get close to what i was aiming at. i tried the way of release that matt and david were talking about but couldnt figure it out, so i stopped by the bowshop this afternoon and he explained it a little different with the same results.---- instead of squeezing your shoulders together he told me to put my finger on the trigger just like normal and then to open my hand and remove all my other fingers from the release. and then to try and pull my hand out of the release. and that works--- just like yall said i shot the first time and was not expecting it to go off but i did finally get it down pretty good.
anyway back to my prob. instead of putting the kisser button in the corner of my mouth i scooted it back about and inch on to my check and wala i am all over an 4in circle at 40yards. thanks guys for all the help it feels good to be back on target!!
Old 04-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, if you have to move the kisser back an inch on your face to make it go off your draw length is WAY to long. I know it' s a pain but off season is the time to shorten it by adjustments or new cams or (Heaven forbid) a new bow.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]