Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you're a trophy hunter and...

Old 11-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If you're a trophy hunter and...

you have elevated the degree of difficult. Do yousit outthe rut? Isn't your buck more likely to be thinking with his little head rather than his big head? Is the playing field truly level? Or, have you tilted things in your favor? Seems to me, if you were indeed a trophy hunter, you would bench yourself for the rut.

Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If you're a trophy hunter and...

Not!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

What constitutes a trophy hunter? Putting a trophy on the ground? Then I'd say the rut is obviously the best bet.

In my opinion, there are far more things that put the advantage in our (a trophy hunters) corner. Like the ability to reason. Just a thought.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like the ability to reason
That's a good reason. Why hunt a deer when his natural survival skills are at their weakest?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:53 PM

I will hunt them anytime!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a good reason. Why hunt a deer when his natural survival skills are at their weakest?
Because I suck
Old 11-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I saw a GREAT buck on 10/21-10-22. I told Duke when I saw him that I'd done so much to learn their patterns and bedding areas....that I truly wished it was sept. 21. That way....I could be assured that he was on his normal pattern/cycle....in lieu of following his little head. I was actually bummed about it. I've gone back in there since that sighting.....but I haven't seen him. I've seen a smaller buck almost every time (playing the wind religiously)....but he hasn't shown, again. What I did do was see him almost a mile away.....this past Tuesday morning (almost positive it was "him").

I've had my success with mature bucks during the rut. I'd feel a MUCH greater accomplishment if I could take them on THEIR terms. I did exactly what you described to take mine. I hunted the does.....and the bucks came looking for them. I actually never saw them before the rut....less one sighting on Sept. 12th, 2006.

I had aLOT of great sits this year (so far) learning where they "should" be. It'll bea great year next year....if I can learn a lot more before this year's out.

You kinda have to divide the season up, though. If you're trying to find a mature buck .....and you haven't found him until the rut....what have you really done? Did you find him? Or....did he find the does you're now hunting?

Will....this is a great thread. I agree with you 100%.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lol... Gary we know you're not a true trophy hunter. A tree beater, well, who could argue?

That was a fine deer by the way Congrats again!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Like the ability to reason
Why hunt them anytime, we are ____x smarter than a deer will ever be. We can think using logic.

(playing devils advocate)

Is the playing field truly level?
Is it ever?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Plus you should only hunt them from 10:00 am- 3:00 pm and only still hunt, without camo, and only use a knife for a weapon.

Quick Reply: If you're a trophy hunter and...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.